Breed???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teamsunbelt, Sep 30, 2011.

1. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I bought 3 hens from a guy who said they were Welsummers. He hatched them from bought eggs. Two of them have green legs, making me think they are not Welsummer, at least not pure. One is about 4 weeks younger than the other 2. The older one has feathers down her shanks.

What breed could they be???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Ideas?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    You are right, they look like Welsummers, but the leg color is off along with that Wellies have clean legs. Probably a mix of some kind, hatched from a Welsummer egg (hen was welsummer). Here is one of mine. Mine are from a hatchery. (Click to make photo bigger)
    [​IMG]

3. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    This is all 3 of them. The color pattern is the same, but the 2 in question are darker. Of course, the legs too.

[​IMG]

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

looks like one of my Black Sex Link hens...

here is her littler mate...
    [​IMG]

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They might have a little marans blood in them. Or possibly Penedesenca, but they are not common.
    I have 3 (hatchery) partridge penedesenca, and I think they have welsummer blood in them because only 1/10 had blue legs(7 roos), only a few had carnination combs(single comb with 2 side sprigs in the back, looks like a crown), and the one that is laying is laying speckled eggs.

They are the 3 in front
    [​IMG]

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I bet they are Welsummers, but someone bred in some Marans trying to get darker eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by