Breed??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by khittikhatt, Jan 26, 2013.

1. khittikhatt

khittikhatt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]

Hi, I just adopted a small flock of ducks. We think we've got the breeds figured out except these two. My daughter thinks they might be Welsh Harlequin, could that be right?

Thanks!!!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Maybe WH mix? I don't think that WH have darker heads but I could be wrong. Very pretty. [​IMG] and welcome to duckdom.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They look a little more like Australian spotteds to me, with the darker head. Aren't Welsh Harlequins more pale on the head feathers?

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Yes, from the pics I've seen WH are lighter. They don't look like bantams to me though but could be.

OP how big are these ducks?

5. khittikhatt

Jan 19, 2013
    Southern Utah
    They're just a tad smaller than the Cayuga. They're really speckly and the dark band on the wings is purply/greenish. We were just looking up breeds and that seemed the closest. I bought them (to save their lives) from another backyard farmer, so there's a big chance they're crossbreds.

6. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    I think they are a WH mix. Here is a pic of my WH duck:

[​IMG]

7. khittikhatt

Jan 19, 2013
    Southern Utah
    Oh yeah, mine are much darker. I looked up the Australian Spotted and they look much more like that type. Pretty ducks! Thanks :)

8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would say they are Welsh Harlequins. All harlequins are slightly different.
    Most are lighter in color, like the ones Nebraskagirl posted. But you can also get darker colored ones like yours.
    I have a flock of 2 drakes and 9 hens. I have 1 hen that looks exactly like yours, the rest are lighter with a few kind of colored inbetween.
    I don't have any pictures but would be happy to take some of mine for you :)

9. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    I demand it. Mostly because I love your flock. *chuckle*

10. khittikhatt

Jan 19, 2013
    Southern Utah
    Of course! I love pix!!! I'll post a photo of my whole group. I have an adorable runner drake :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by