1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SeanBlack, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    What breed should i get i need one that is good in winter (Irish) and is a good egg layer ;) [​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm a huge fan of red sex links--Cinnamon Queens, Red Stars, Golden Buffs--whatever your hatchery decides to call them. They may not be a "breed" per se, but I really love mine. Quiet and calm, and tons and tons of giant eggs.

For a more heritage breed, I like Barred Rocks. Rocks are pretty, lay well through the winter, and are good eating.

I have a true dislike of Buff Orpingtons (they never did lay well, and they ate a ton, and never went broody which is their claim to fame, and had no personality) but many people will probably suggest them.

3. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Ya ive read that about the buffs an what about rhode island reds

4. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Reds are good and so are barred.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've had Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire Reds. Didn't like either breed. Both were very flighty--worse than my Leghorns, even--and they didn't lay anywhere NEAR as well as my sex-links do.
    I keep a RIR rooster, because he makes sex-links with my Barred Rocks and Columbian Wyandottes, but I'm not going to get any more RIR hens. In fact, I sold those hens when they were less than a year old, now that I think about it. I guess I REALLY didn't like them. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by