Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barbiegirl, Aug 19, 2013.

1. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    I bought him June 1st and was told he was an Araucana. He looked rumpless when he was younger. The picture doesn't show his feathers have a purple and green hue to the black feathers. He is really pretty.

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks more like an Easter Egger I would say. Many people sell their chickens calling them Araucanas and Ameraucanas when they are really just EEs.

3. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    He doesn't have any tuffs or a beard. I don't care if they are true Araucanas, I just wanted green or blue eggs. He definitely does not look like my Easter egger hen.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not all EEs have tufts and beards (mine didn't), they have many different colors obtained from mixes.

5. chesterbarton78

chesterbarton78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    England
    EE

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He just looks like a mixed breed rooster to me. I'm not seeing any particular Easter egger traits.

7. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Well, EE are mixed breed birds so they can have any combo of traits. It's just some traits are more common. But if he was sold to you as a Araucana then he is probably a EE. He is not an Araucana however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by