Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lauren1824, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    Anyone know what breed these 3 (the little ones, 2 white1 black ) 1 1/2wk old chicks are? I was told they were Silkie's, but I do not believe this is the case. [​IMG]

2. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Maybe a mix.. but not full silkies do they have featherd feet or bluish skin?

1 person likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The white chick to the left is definitely not as those are "normal" feathers growing in and not Silkie feathers...Not sure of breed. It might be a Delaware??? Although that's quite a bit of black in the wings.

Hard to see the feathers on the 2nd white one to the right so I can't tell you if that is still chick down or Silkie fluff...but it doesn't look like it has the Silkie black bill and crest nor beard. Not sure what it might be.

I'm not sure which black one you mean and it's hard to tell where one chick ends and the next begins with the dark blob in the middle...although the first black one at 12 o'clock might be a Silkie as those feathers look more like a Silkie and it's got the right color of beak. It might be a splash Silkie. The front large chick looks to have Silkie feathers but it's beak color is wrong...and I can't see the far back dark one well enough to say about the feathers but it's beak color is wrong.

They might be Silkie mixes with the exception of the first left white bird which I think is simply a normal feathered chicken.

My thoughts (and I'm not an expert on Silkies...I have just my one).

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  4. Lauren1824

Nov 24, 2013
    No blue or black skin, or feathers on the feet. I'm thinking maybe a mix also. Thank you guys.

5. Krischick

Krischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Willard Mo
    Sex link chicks probly black sex link my guess they are not silkies

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see silkies right off, but I do believe that guy with his back to the camera is a barred male. That's a huge, messy head spot.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't see any silkies there. The little white one to the left looks like a black-tailed Japanese bantam, but it's difficult to tell. I see one barred rock and the others it is difficult to say from that photo...

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, I'm not seeing any Silkie in those birds. Some of them may be Barred Rocks.

9. Lauren1824

Nov 24, 2013
    2 are Barred Rocks almost for sure (at least that is what they were sold as) . I will send an updated picture in a few days, when more feathers are developed, just in case anyone is interested in the outcome for their own purposes, or for mine :)

10. TheRoostergirl

TheRoostergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    theyre spitzhaubens I know because ive got some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by