breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sigmachigirl, Jan 2, 2014.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    [​IMG] We've had this little cutie since early August. She is about 6-7 months old. Only weighs about 1.5lbs. She is a bantam breed of something. We were initially told she was a Cornish game hen. But I have looked those up. She doesn't have the sleek look that the ones I saw online. She has no real distinctive tail (reminds me of an orpington's tail) and is a total fluff. Kinda like a feathered ball with pantaloons and a head. Anyone have any clues what she might be? She's not started laying yet. these pictures are a few months old. She is a lot more poofy now. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Could she be a bantam Partridge Wyandotte?

Ps she is totally adorable! I'd take one just like her in a second.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I think you might be right!!!!! I found this link, and the bird in the picture has that exact outline in the behind area! She is such a funny girl. She was only letting me hold her because she was sick. :). She loves to follow me around though, just doesn't want to be touched. :)

http://bantamclub.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=429

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, partridge bantam wyandotte. Love that partridge color, it's such eye candy!

1 person likes this.
  5. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Glad to have a definitive answer. Didn't even know wyandottes came in partridge colorations! I was worried reading about all the health problems Cornish game hen had the older they got (after I got her). But I couldn't say no to her cute little face!

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Partridge Wyandotte Bantam

1 person likes this.
  7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan

Its the CornishX meat hybrid that has the health problems if they are not allowed exercise and are fed too much.
    The actual Cornish breed is not the same thing, they just have the thick legs and well developed breast muscles. They were used in the cornishX ancestry, to give them those good meat characteristics.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is most likely a very attractive partridge Wyandotte bantam.

9. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    That makes sense. We had wanted breeds that are known for living long lives. Was worried about a bird that might have issues past a few years. We have Brahmas, silkies, an EE and several orpingtons. She is such an inquisitive little thing with gorgeous sheen on her feathers. We adore her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by