breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mander, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Mander

Mander Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    Any idea what breed this chick is? She is 4 weeks old.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    i had one that looked exactly like that! all i know was that mine was a bantam... i dont remember what breed though. Is yours a bantam?

3. Mander

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    I have no idea! Lol
    They were all a gift, i asked him what they are and he doesnt know all of them. Is there a way to tell a bantam from one thats not?

4. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It looks like it might be a speckled sussex, but I am not sure!

5. Mander

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    Funny... cause that was my suspicion. What gave me doubt is cause where the egg came from there are no SS. The thing is, he has a rooster that mates with a leghorn, Rhode Island Red, and 2 other breeds he isnt sure about... i think maybe im going to see if i can get pics of his chickens. How does breeding work?.... does the egg take half/half of rooster and pullet? Or does it lean more to a specific side of the gene pool to become a certain breed? Not sure if im asking correctly.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not a Sussex, they have white legs. The coloring you're seeing now is juvenile plumage and will change when the adult feathers come in.

From what you're saying, it's a mixed breed bird.

7. Mander

Jan 10, 2014
    weirsdale, fl
    Thanku.

So after they get their first set of feathers they get another set?

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You get mixed breeds not a specific breed when you breed from mixes...other than an Easter Egger is a mixed breed where you must have Ameraucana or Araucana (the blue egg genes) on one side and any other chicken breed on the other and it will be called an Easter Egger.

I agree totally that you have a mixed breed...not a Speckled Sussex...wrong leg color and the fact there are no SS on the farm.

And yes, your bird will molt and regrow feathers about 4 or 5 times (I forget the exact number) until it gets its full adult feathers. And it can change a lot in appearance, especially if it is a mixed breed.

If curious to that fact, look at my avator then look at my June hatch. You will see a very similar bird to what your looks like at the juvenile stage (I really thought she might be an EE just with yellow legs)...however she has changed so much that all I now think is that she as Wyandotte and????? probably EE roo.

Good news is....I think you have a pullet, at least right now. It is feathering in very nicely at 4 weeks and I'm not seeing a larger comb, so likely it is a pullet.

Enjoy your little bird.
    Lady of McCamley

10. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    This might help. These are pictures of my silver phoenix as a chick, and as an adult.

[​IMG]
    Before he developed any feathers at all.

[​IMG]
    Note the brown coloring! At this point I thought he was going to be a gold phoenix (he's a hatchery bird), or that he wasn't going to LOOK like a proper phoenix at all!

[​IMG]
    Not a single bit of brown in his feathers anymore. It's all pure white and black color. At this point he still hadn't "cleaned up" the colors, but he was well on his way.

[​IMG]
    And this is him now, just under a year old. A full set of pure white and black feathers. The black "spots" are gone, leaving only slight black streaks in his hackle feathers. The colors on his wings are definitely separate leaving ONLY the shoulders and tips white, and his tail is all black. QUITE a difference from a chick born with brown colored down, who started to develop brown colored feathers!

And without even researching it, I'm pretty confident that when a chick first develops feathers, they do so in a slightly more "camouflage" pattern to help them blend in with their surroundings until they are truly old enough to fend for themselves. If I researched it, I would probably only confirm this theory.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by