Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by farmer4, Sep 22, 2014.

1. farmer4

farmer4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    no idea of the age but the woman that gave it to me said that it lays colored eggs.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Easter Egger, a bird of mixed genetics that usually carries the blue egg gene, allowing her to lay blue or green eggs, depending on what else is in the lineage.

3. farmer4

Jul 7, 2014
    Alright well does she look old enough to lay eggs?

4. speckledhen

Hard to say exactly how old that bird is. She might be old enough, yes. Is she in quarantine from your other birds now? Hopefully she is.

5. farmer4

Jul 7, 2014
    No but why would I have to quarantine that particular bird

6. speckledhen

7. farmer4

Jul 7, 2014
    How far away shall I keep her??

8. farmer4

Jul 7, 2014
    [​IMG] could I keep her in the red pen while the others are in the chain link pen?

9. speckledhen

Quarantine should be so they are not near each other and airborne diseases can't be passed back and forth; in other words, they shouldn't be breathing air in the same area. This is so you do not infect your flock with whatever she may be carrying. She can appear healthy but be a carrier of some viral or bacterial disease. And she could be healthy, but quarantine is for observation so you can see if she shows any symptoms and if she does, you do not put her in your flock at all. During this time, you do not medicate with antibiotics. You can worm her and dust her for mites/lice, but no medications otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by