Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DinaKay, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DinaKay

DinaKay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    I'm a NEWBIE all the way. ..built a coop..was given these 2 guys around Christmas. Are they Rhode Island Reds? Also I was given 8 Leghorn hens a week ago that r 10 weeks old[​IMG]. I've kept them separated from the roos..but r close enough to see each other. .how long before I can put them all together?

2. DinaKay

Jan 23, 2015
    Arkansas

3. DinaKay

Jan 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your roosters appear to be production Rhode Island Red.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think they look more like New Hampshires than RIR's. Nice fellas.

I would not put your pullets in with the roosters as 10 weeks old as they are still a bit young, more importantly smaller in size, to put in with adult roo's...the girls won't have any interest in the guys, and the guys could see the smaller birds as something to pick on and chase.

I've never integrated two subflocks of unfamiliar roo's and girls quite like that before, some others may have a better idea as I don't know if it would be smoother transitioning the girls at almost full size (ie 14 to 16 weeks) but not sexually mature yet.....or waiting until they are sexually mature.

I suspicion it would be better to integrate at say 14 to 16 weeks, with nearly full size but not sexually mature. That way the overall flock pecking order settles before the boys begin to vie for the girls attentions. However as hens come into sexual maturity, things will change. Be prepared that the boys may be upset with each other until dominance of who is top roo settles.

My 2 cents
    LofMc

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that your birds are Production Reds.

7. DinaKay

Jan 23, 2015
    Arkansas
    Thank y'all. That's what I thought about intro too..let my girls grow up in size more. Loving my roos on their watchfulness and alerting on predators.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by