Breeder Cage Size

chickhopeful12

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
CT
What size cage would be good for a breeding pair, trio or quad? Any idea where I could buy a nice cage or setup? This would be for Jumbo Browns

For a pair of them, I would say 1x1, 1x2 for a trio and so on. However, Coturnix do best when kept in colonies, as the females get pretty roughed up. Not to say that it can't be done succesfully, as this is how I do it part of the year, but just a warning! ^_^

Would you say a quad would be best then? 1 roo to 3 girls in a 4x6. Would that be a good size or should I go bigger?

Where could I get a decent cage set up?

Thanks for your input!

I use Aviary cage set ups like bird cages
smile.png

Quote:
Those are some spoiled quail!
tongue.png

I keep about 10-14 in 2x2ft pens. Well, sometimes less than that, sometimes more, whenever they are comfortable. For ratio, 1:3 is perfect. So in that cage, I have 3 cocks and 12 hens, roughly.

Does this help?

Quote:
I've not got any yet, but are quail really that small that you can put so many in a 4x4 ? just wondering because I have 2 coops of similar size and was thinking less birds would go in.

Quote:
I've not got any yet, but are quail really that small that you can put so many in a 4x4 ? just wondering because I have 2 coops of similar size and was thinking less birds would go in.

NO THEY ARE NOT THAT SMALL. AND IN MANY CASES WILL TOLERATE OVERCROWDING LIKE THAT.... IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL BIRDS THEMSELVES. ALSO CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL FISH AND GAME DEPT AS THEY MAY HAVE MINIMUM SQ/FT PER BIRD RULES--- SOME STATES DO, MANY DO NOT:idunno

Back
Top Bottom