Breeder competition?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Miriah132, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Miriah132

Miriah132 Songster

Mar 16, 2018
    Hi all! So I recently started getting into breeding a few different breeds, but I have noticed a lot of people looking for my breeds but wanting a cockerel and pullets. My question is, how do you deal with creating competition by buyers buying from you and breeding their own? In this area people don’t even know what SOP even means and will buy a bird just based off its breed name, meaning they don’t look at breeding stock or even make sure the breed is actually the breed they claim it is. For example, lots of Easter Eggers are being called and sold as ameraucanas so there’s no market at all for true ameraucanas. Feel like I’m rambling here? Lol I guess im worried I will sell my chicks and create my own competition and not be able to keep my prices up no matter how good my breeding stock and eggs are. Thinking of selling pullets and just retaining cockerels but that would cause a dip in profit. I need advice!

Kessel23 likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Sr Chicken Wrangler

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    The problem with being a breeder... People do not understand the difference between a mutt and a SOP showbird. AND most don't give two rats tails either. They want the cheapest bird, period.

I have stopped selling chicks, I now only sell my culls as Juveniles or young adults. If no one wants them, I have found good lines taste just as good as poor lines.

Redhead Rae likes this.
  3. Miriah132

Miriah132 Songster

Mar 16, 2018

That’s exactly what I mean! It wouldn’t matter how much work I put into my flock if the person who buys from me sells cheaper that’s where the people will go.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Yep

5. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    That's why its so hard to get rich raising chickens. Also why I never made it about money.
    Even with rare breeds like green fire sells the bottom falls out of their value within a few short years.
    I find in almost all cases if you're counting on making great profits you'll be out of business in no time.
    Honestly the secret is in marketing more then the birds. You have to figure out your market and focus on your marketing to stand out and make your sells.
    Whether you're selling rare breeds, show birds or just common laying breeds there will always be other breeders competing with you for that market.
    You have to make yourself stand out, get their attention.
    When I raised birds and showed breeders always bragged about how great their birds were and how they sold themselves. Somewhat true but most of us had good quality birds. I did well selling mine because I put in the time and networked constantly.
    You have to focus on selling birds but you have to focus on selling yourself even more. IMO to really make any money.
    Again I never raised birds with the mind set to be profitable but at times in my life I figured out if I could make money I could invest more into my birds and set ups so it helped.
    I know their are real money making breeders out there that hopefully will drop in and give you some tips but with everything when someone is successful their fear of competition keeps them guarding any tips that might help someone else.
    Money makes things complicated.

Miriah132 likes this.
  6. Miriah132

Miriah132 Songster

Mar 16, 2018
    Thank you! That was very helpful! I’m not really in it to become rich! I’m more so just seeing a need and filling it! But that’s a very good point about marketing! I will have to work on that!

7. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Curious what breeds you're raising?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. Miriah132

Miriah132 Songster

Mar 16, 2018
    Cochins, svart honas, black copper marans, cream legbars, and then I have my backyard flock of EEs. Around here pretty egg layers and unusual looking birds are in high demand from what I’ve found. Plus I LOVE all of those breeds and have them in my flock so thought why not? Lol

9. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Never had svart hovas but I've raised the others.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Do you belong to the breed clubs/associations?

I get a few requests every year from members in the clubs I belong too. Also they are good for breed promotion and at the shows.

The CreamlegbarClub actually represents all three colors of Legbars and the board has actually discussed trying to get the rose combs recognized in the future. They have an online show every year that gets the person with the best birds some recognition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: