1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeder culls for Ameraucana and BC Marans? Good or Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by off-grid hen, Oct 29, 2011.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hint to moderator: Should this be in the "Managing Your Flock" forum? If so, I'm sure it can be moved... [​IMG]

I originally wanted to buy day-old chicks to add to my backyard flock. I just want blue/green (not olive or tinted eggs) and dark brown eggs. After thinking about trying to raise chicks and introduce them, I thought I might be able to buy full-grown birds. If I am just a backyard flock owner and not looking for show quality birds, could I just buy breeder culls? Would they still be true to egg color? I don't want easter eggers, because I already have light brown and tinted eggs. Do breeders cull for egg color too? Trying to find a breeder of ameraucanas and black copper marans in northern NY could prove to be challenging. I am confused, this is harder than I thought it would be. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Perfectly sound idea [​IMG]

I cull for all traits, really. But I rarely come across green layers with my Am's and Ar's so there's a very very good chance one will get a cull from me who lays a good blue egg. And there's a 95% chance the bird is perfectly healthy and able to lay lots of eggs, too.

As for Marans - My culls tend to lay a much better egg color than what you find at the hatchery, but not all are superb, but still, health and laying ability are usually great.

I always offer culls to new owners to try and open their mind to the lesser known but more awesome breeds, such as French Marans and Araucanas (Ameraucanas are less easy to sell out here because people associate them with EE's) without paying a price they'll turn down.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Now all I have to do is find one near me? Or would shipping prices for a live adult bird be out if this world?
    I'm also hoping that by buying older than chicks, there'd be a snowflake's chance in he'll illl get a rooster. As long as there aren't beak or foot deformities, I don't care about color quality. Thanks for the response, I knew this post would fall off the radar quickly.

4. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Also- Thanks, Illia! You've been very helpful to me on my quest for dark brown eggs!

5. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    You're probably looking at a minimum of $55 per bird plus a box fee for an adult chicken. If you're not looking to breed from it, I'd go with a breeder's cull. I often see them listed as pet quality. Try finding somebody close to you on one of the breed threads or on the breed association's web site. You could also try Craigslist. Good Luck

6. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by