breeder feed

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dwen, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I am wondering when to start giving out breeder feed, and what exactly to feed. I have read that it is good feed ducks & geese 17% breeder feed four weeks before the season starts, so I was wondering if that would mean now. All my geese are Juveniles.

What do you feed? last year I used Bartlett game bird breeder for my ducks, but I can't find any this year. Will any 17% show-bird, game bird feed do, or should I look for certain levels of other ingredients? What brands do you all prefer?

Thanks-
    Dwen

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Brands that I've read in this forum are Mazuri waterfowl feed & Purina Flockraiser. As far as breeder feed, do you mean layer feed, for geese that will be laying eggs? If so, then yes, you should probably start feeding them some kind of layer feed soon.

3. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I am familiar with both feeds, but I'm looking for what you feed breeders who you intend to hatch eggs from. I was reading my story's guide to ducks, and you can mix layer pellets, cat kibbles, and manna pro to make your own duck breeder feed. Think it will do for geese too?

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Currently my waterfowl are getting a Layer Pellet from a local feed mill, mixed with Whole Oats, Wheat, Barely, Cayenne Pepper, Black, Oil Sunflower Seeds, and Alfalfa hay to munch on.

The next time I pick up feed I'm going to get some Manna Pro, Millet, and possibly some Fish and Kelp meal. We'll see.

~ Aspen

5. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    You can do layer pellets & manna pro mix - not sure on the cat kibbles. You may want to add black oil sunflower seeds & oats. MrsFluffypuffy's mix sounds good too!

This might also be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/611666/feeding-for-feather-quality

And here's the site for Cottage Rose & for Celtic Oaks Farm, both have good feeding tips

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    I just read something really interesting in the feeding chickens thread and I'm curious if this will work for geese: alfalafa and/or soaked horse alfalfa pellets. Apparently a lot of folks have found the chickens will eat the leaves and leave the stems. Would this work as a supplement for geese when green grass isn't available?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From all I've read geese don't care much for Alfalfa but other grasses they like like Timothy

8. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    Thank you. What would be some other greens alternatives for geese?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    In the winter, romaine lettuce, green cabbage chopped, Timothy hay mine will eat chopped collards too. I have hung up a cabbage head and just let them have at it they all love it that way.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    You might look into sprouting/growing fodder for your waterfowl. There is a thread here on BYC about it if you looks. It's an excellent way to provide greenery during the winter months.

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by