Breeder fibbing about free range chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Gypsy07, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I found this statement on the website of a breeder I was considering travelling a LONG way to collect some rare breed pullets from:

"All our chickens have enormous runs so that they can be truly called free range"

What The Flump!?! I mean, REALLY! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

According to the USDA free range means " the poultry has been allowed access to the outside", so based on that definition those chickens would probably be considered free range. That definition certainly doesn't jive with what I (and most people) consider to be free range birds.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, sadly free range has been abused. I've seen so many people sell "free range" eggs and get away with having their chickens in a tiny run with no grass or greens what so ever. It's like the "organic" chickens myth - All they do is feed commercial feed. That stuff ISN'T ORGANIC!

We let our girls and boys out on 3 acres of wooded, shrubby, meadowed, and hilly pastures. . . That I call free range, even if it is fenced in.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

While I agree that they're most likely using the USDA definition, it is possible that their run is truly big enough to use the BYC definition (lol)...I mean, if each uncovered run is a fenced area of at least an acre, would that be considered free range??? I guess I look at free range as a space large enough to where the grass doesn't get eaten away [​IMG] I refer to my girls as free ranging in my 3 acre fenced yard/property...

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:When it comes to runs, I consider "free range" to be an uncovered run big enough to allow greens, too. I don't consider my Tolbunt Polish free ranged, even though their area is very wild looking, as it is 130' x 30' - But if someone called their area free range, and it was the size of my Bachelor Pad (200' x 150') AND had plenty of greens, shrubs, maybe even a tree. . . I'd agree with them. But I personally don't consider my boys in a free range environment. Just a really nice mockery of one. [​IMG]

To each their own description.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Another reason it's always a good idea to ask LOTS of questions. Technical application of most of the labels out there today really mean very little. As someone pointed out "Free-Range" as defined by the USDA only requires that birds have access to the outdoors. They don't have to use that access -- and lots of times they won't, it just has to be there. It doesn't have to be large or include an area with any greenery and the regulation of the term only applies to meat producers, it's unregulated in egg production.

Ask questions, if you're close enough visit the farm, if you're not get pictures -- lots and lots of pictures.

7. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:yep, I was just telling my friend about this very thing this morning. she has all her 31 chickens in a 3x5 run, which has no grass and she does not feed greens at all, too much work she says, and she sells her eggs for 4.00 a dozen, she tells people they are free range organic eggs and she feeds commercial layer. I finally told her she is false advertising her eggs (in a nice way) when she went to the extend of telling one of my buyers her eggs were better than mine. I lost that buyer, I was selling mine at 2.50 a dozen, I provide lots of greens and balanced nutrition. I decided to be the grown up and not make a big deal out of what she did. kind of blew it off and if that buyer rather pay more for less, he can go right ahead...lol...

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I am so sorry to hear of that. . . Now that's sad.

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:yep, I was just telling my friend about this very thing this morning. she has all her 31 chickens in a 3x5 run, which has no grass and she does not feed greens at all, too much work she says, and she sells her eggs for 4.00 a dozen, she tells people they are free range organic eggs and she feeds commercial layer. I finally told her she is false advertising her eggs (in a nice way) when she went to the extend of telling one of my buyers her eggs were better than mine. I lost that buyer, I was selling mine at 2.50 a dozen, I provide lots of greens and balanced nutrition. I decided to be the grown up and not make a big deal out of what she did. kind of blew it off and if that buyer rather pay more for less, he can go right ahead...lol...

I'm thinking I would be rethinking my label for this particular person in my life; "friend" doesn't seem an accurate depiction to me. [​IMG]

If the buyer pays any attention at all to the eggs (s)he will be able to tell the difference. When (s)he comes back you can gently remind them that's why it's a good idea to ask your farmer lots of questions and visit the farm if at all possible (and if they resist, you probably don't want to buy from them)

10. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    yep, I was just telling my friend about this very thing this morning. she has all her 31 chickens in a 3x5 run, which has no grass and she does not feed greens at all, too much work she says, and she sells her eggs for 4.00 a dozen, she tells people they are free range organic eggs and she feeds commercial layer. I finally told her she is false advertising her eggs (in a nice way) when she went to the extend of telling one of my buyers her eggs were better than mine. I lost that buyer, I was selling mine at 2.50 a dozen, I provide lots of greens and balanced nutrition. I decided to be the grown up and not make a big deal out of what she did. kind of blew it off and if that buyer rather pay more for less, he can go right ahead...lol...

31 chickens in a 15 sq ft area?!?! Is that even possible? Why would you do that to those animals? In my area, you have to have a coop and covered run because of the predators, but we have very large runs and have the fencing now to make them even bigger. Why do people act like because they're birds they can do things they wouldn't do to their dogs? They are still LIVING CREATURES!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by