1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeder of rose combed Rhode Island Whites?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SpringPeeper, Aug 1, 2014.

1. SpringPeeper

SpringPeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    I'm looking for a breeder (would consider a hatchery, even) that carries rose comb Rhode Island Whites. Even if they're sold out for this year, I'd like to know so I can get a jump on them next year. Any suggestions from anyone who can point me in the right general direction would be appreciated. I've been poking around for about a year trying to find some and have only found single comb.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sand Hill Preservation Center breeds and sells rose comb Rhode Island Whites. They are probably sold out for this year, but you should be able to get them next spring. Their website is http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/index.html. Good luck in getting your rose comb RIWs.

3. SpringPeeper

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    Augh! I knew I'd seen them someplace like this but have been searching for where it was. Thank you! I'm going to get on the 2015 list.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

cmom a member here breeds the true birds. Send her a private message.

cmom

5. SpringPeeper

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    Thank you, @Fred's Hens

6. GregClark38

GregClark38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    West Virginia
    Did you contact them? Looking for some myself.

7. SpringPeeper

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    They do breed them, and are taking prepaid reservations for 2015.$6 per straight run chick, maximum of 15 per order.

8. GregClark38

GregClark38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2014
    West Virginia
    If you have a Rhode Island White with the single comb, does that means it's not a "pure bred" and has another type mixed with it, or does it mean that it's just a fault?

9. SpringPeeper

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    No, many hatcheries sell single comb birds as RI Reds or RI Whitesthat are really production strains (like with Easter Egger 'Ameraucana') but it is possible to have single comb, purebred RIs (especially reds). However, unlike with the reds, I don't think the APA recognizes the single comb lines of the whites.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The APA doesn't currently recognize the single comb RIW, but they've been seriously discussing the admission of them since 2010, so I think it's just a matter of time before they will admit them to the standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by