Breeder Pen Design Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmhand, Feb 11, 2014.

1. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

Some questions regarding designing breeder/broody pens. I'm looking at building a series of pens 8' x 4' to house 1 rooster and 1 to 3 hens for breeding. Or for raising chicks. Or to house 1 or 2 broody hens.

How important is it that the roosters can not see each other?
    I was thinking of placing plywood between the pens but would rather just use wire as it lets more light in. Your suggestions are appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would set it up as wire, and then see what happens. You could always just avoid it by setting them up so that the pens are filled:

Rooster

Brooding hens

Rooster

grow out pen

Rooster

How well can you see through the 30%shade cloth? It might be enough blockage.

Depending on the set up, putting in a wood wall later on, if all other options fail, might not be hard to do.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I plan to put wood just the first 2-3 feet up the side, and maybe not the entire length of the pen. Roos that cause excessive problems probably wont' be used for breeding as temperament is hugely important to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by