Breeder pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LocoPollo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I have a question about building pens for breeding. Are they just small pens for 3 or 4 chickens, say a rooster and three hens? Is that how most folks do it? I am thinking of getting some new birds that I want to keep separated for breeding purposes.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have plans for small runs just large enough for no more than 6 birds. Ideally I will only have 3 hens and a roo in each one. That way I can keep a close eye on who is producing what and change things around if I am displeased with the outcome.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

im gonna start my breeder pens this winter for the spring, ive tested with some of my birds and get a really good fertility rate with 5 hens a roo.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    DH has ideas breeder pens.
    He plans to have a 10x10 tractor for 5 hens and a roo which I suppose is for his Araucanas and another for Welsummers. Then he is going to make another frame of 12x12 and cut that into 4 runs for my bantam Cochins and maybe cross with some Silkies.
    I think this could also work for isolation pens or hospital runs if he were to build another couple of 10x10's and divide into 3 or 4 runs. He is still working on his first one though and I am almost finished with my second decent tractor.
    Ah, the best laid pans...........[​IMG]

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I put "pairs" in 4x4 coops for now....mostly bantams at the moment and too young to breed. I will keep reading this thread as it grows...I am sure someone is full of info on this!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This is my idea of a breeder/brooder coop.

[​IMG]

The smaller pens will be doubled, one on top of another, with solid bottoms on the upper cages, so nobody gets poopy heads. [​IMG]

The bottom pens will have access to the runs. These will be for bantam sized chickens, either trios or maybe 3 hens and one roo.

The uppers will be for quail and young chicks, with no run access.

The two larger pens on the end will be for my game chickens. Between myself and my dad we have 1 roo and 4 hens.

I will also be getting BLRW in the spring, so one large pen will be for them as well. These pens will go all the way to the ceiling.

I would do no more than 4 chickens in the smaller ones like mine, and no more than 5 in the larger ones.

Whatdya think?

EDIT: The actual size of the building is 10'x12'

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Shelley, looks like you are a lady with a plan!

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Now the fun part is getting the material and putting it together!!

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Shelley, I love that plan. Now you've got me thinking..... great great idea there.

10. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    I like it! Wow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by