Breeder pens

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
I have a question about building pens for breeding. Are they just small pens for 3 or 4 chickens, say a rooster and three hens? Is that how most folks do it? I am thinking of getting some new birds that I want to keep separated for breeding purposes.

I have plans for small runs just large enough for no more than 6 birds. Ideally I will only have 3 hens and a roo in each one. That way I can keep a close eye on who is producing what and change things around if I am displeased with the outcome.

DH has ideas breeder pens.
He plans to have a 10x10 tractor for 5 hens and a roo which I suppose is for his Araucanas and another for Welsummers. Then he is going to make another frame of 12x12 and cut that into 4 runs for my bantam Cochins and maybe cross with some Silkies.
I think this could also work for isolation pens or hospital runs if he were to build another couple of 10x10's and divide into 3 or 4 runs. He is still working on his first one though and I am almost finished with my second decent tractor.
Ah, the best laid pans...........
th.gif

I put "pairs" in 4x4 coops for now....mostly bantams at the moment and too young to breed. I will keep reading this thread as it grows...I am sure someone is full of info on this!

This is my idea of a breeder/brooder coop.

Chickencoopdesign.jpg

The smaller pens will be doubled, one on top of another, with solid bottoms on the upper cages, so nobody gets poopy heads.
smile.png

The bottom pens will have access to the runs. These will be for bantam sized chickens, either trios or maybe 3 hens and one roo.

The uppers will be for quail and young chicks, with no run access.

The two larger pens on the end will be for my game chickens. Between myself and my dad we have 1 roo and 4 hens.

I will also be getting BLRW in the spring, so one large pen will be for them as well. These pens will go all the way to the ceiling.

I would do no more than 4 chickens in the smaller ones like mine, and no more than 5 in the larger ones.

Whatdya think?

EDIT: The actual size of the building is 10'x12'

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom