breeder quality chickens :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Jan 19, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have a chance to buy some wonderful chickens from some excellent bloodlines. They only have minor faults. However, there is one that I am concerned about. It has a crooked tail. would it mean it has a wry tail.? Well I am wanting to buy these birds, but I am wondering if any of you with more experience would know how easy or hard it would be to breed this charecteristic out. Thanks
    . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Wry tail is heredetary, I would skip that bird.

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    MY experiences are that a major fault is VERY hard to breed out. Even when you have corrected it, it will suddenly show up on the one bird that has every other trait you like.....murphy's law.

Plus for me that one major flaw sticks out like big 'ol sore. Hate the tails on partridge wyandotte bantams....way too much like cochin butts. bantams don't have near the "form" of standards in the partridge color.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    t,,,,,,good point

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Birch Run Farm that avatar is scary

6. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I need your opinion please... I have ordered Dominiques from a hatchery. On some of the breeds the catalog states that their birds are not show quality. I have no plans on showing my chickens. I ordered them because my mother had them when she was a young child (she is in her 80's now). If I want to improve on my birds, where would I get better specimans? Thanks for any input you can give me! Theresa

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    From a breeder.

You can do a search in here or on Google for Dominique breeders in Indiana and hopefully get some good information from it.

8. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

From my experiences you are better off to fork out the bucks for a nice bird or you will driving yourself crazy trying to get rid of faults. and never buy a breeder with a major fault like a wry tail.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    OK thanks everybody.....I am not even sure if it has a wry tail. It is just crooked, and I havent seen it so that could mean a lot of things, not neccassarily wry. .

Thanks Again [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    wow I really messed up the spelling on that one! Geeeeeesh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by