1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeder question

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by hdowden, Sep 20, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    quick question...ok there is someone on facebook that says they raise golden necks i questioned them about it because it looks like a white with gold leakage and they go and tell me that they don't raise mixes. on another pic of a silver laced Cochin mix they proceed to say its a silver laced Cochin (not including the mixed part) someone else questioned if it was a mix and said person goes on to say yea its a mix and You know all we raise is mixes in rabbits and chickens.. this raises a very bright red flag to me what do yall think? i proceed to ask a question about the d'uccle (if it was gonna get more coloring and spangles) also letting them know i have 2 goldens that look nothing like this and this person has yet to answer my question...so what do yall think??

heres the pic of the 'golden neck' d'uccle

[​IMG]

and heres the cochin
    [​IMG]

heres the link to the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/138379479585834/

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    The cochin is incorrect and showing too much leakage and not enough black and laceing. Ideal poultry has Golden neck d'uccles. Its very possible that where they got ther birds and why they say they r pure. I have placed several orders in the past with that hatchery just to have to give them away because many never even came close to the description and pictures they have posted. These def look like a match in quality of most the birds and breeds I have recieved from that hatchery. I think they just pretend they have the breeds they offer but even for hatchery stock they r the worst and obviously mixbreeds. On another note 2 of the many breeds I ordered from them did actually look like what I would expect from a hatchery.

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    my 2 goldens look like they are supposed to but they have developed black on them the cockerel more so with a wing feather half black and half white but over looking alright for ideal. :) maybe i just lucked out on mine...you can see them in my d'uccle album if you want, all of them except my porcelain and the mille pullet (which unfortunately got debeaked and died [​IMG]) came from ideal. I'm looking for better stock but needed to add a few birds to my flock for now.

to me they don't look like mixed breeds but more of mixed colors

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You would be wasting your time to try to get them to confess or learn anything. If they wanted to know, they would have asked.

So put them down in your book as an amateur and don't take any advice from them. If you want correct birds, I suggest that you invest in a Standard of perfection. It is a lovely book and worth every penny of the purchase price.

Best luck to you with your birds.

1 person likes this.
  5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i plan on getting that book asap

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by