Breeder Suggestion/ Runner&Seb/Cross country shipping

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kristen2678, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I'm interested in some runners and sebastopols come spring. It seems like Holderread's is getting some great reviews. My issue is shipping cross country. He is just about as far North West as you can be and I'm just as much North East as you can be. I know day olds "do well" but I'd hate to place an order knowing some will not make it. Just doesn't seem right. Anyone have advice or reccomendations?

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I don't think they would ship to you if they thought they wouldn't make it. Even when I am going to pick up from them, Millie worries that the day will be too hot for them in the car. I always assure her that I will have the air on in the car and won't be stopping. [​IMG]

3. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I know you said you were wanting day-olds, but I have ordered adults from Holderreads and I live on the East coast as you do, but I'm in Pennsylvania.
    My adults came in the dead of winter and were in wonderful shape upon arrival. They only ship adults during the colder months.
    There are several advantages in ordering adults as Holderreads grades and rates their adults and sells them accordingly. If you were wanting something specific for show or breeding, you would have a better chance of receiving grown birds that have their adult bodies and are already evaluated.
    The down side is the cost of shipping. Two pairs of ducks cost me $123.00 just in shipping and box fees.
    I'm not complaining at all as the ducks I received were even more beautiful than what I had expected.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I want to add, that even if you get his worst quality, they are much better than hatchery quality. I would get the goslings and ducklings... they are SO much fun. Don't rip yourself off from that.

5. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    My gosling order from Holderread's arrived in fine shape when I lived in NY. I requested June delivery when it would be warmer, but may have been overcautious! Millie phoned me the evening of the day they were shipped, and my post office called me the next morning to announce their arrival.

I let my PO know ahead of time that the goslings would be coming, and gave the Holderread's my phone number to let me know when they shipped. They put my phone number on the box so the PO could call me and I could pick the goslings up right away.

Since I couldn't bring those birds with me when I moved, I placed an order for Holderread's goslings for March 2010 delivery here in CA!

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I am in central N.Carolina My order of 8 goslings and 10 ducklings from Holderreads in the spring took two full days to get to my country postoffice and they were in fine shape I couldn't see any effects of their long trip.

7. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Great information. Thanks. I'm on the North Shore of Ma, but could be in Southern NH by June. I could zip to Boston or Manchester to save them part of the trip too. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by