Breeder Visit to Glenn Morris *pics*

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I visited my favorite local small peafowl breeder again and took lots of photos. I hope it is okay that I post photos of the other birds here too because he has lots of other beautiful birds.

Unfortunately because he is surrounded by woods, he gets a lot of predator problems. He recently got a great pyrenees puppy and since he got the dog, he has not had any more deaths of the free-range birds, but he is still having something break into his pens and kill his birds. When we got there he told us just that morning, he walked out to find his penned blackshoulder peacock dead. He had a poor pied peacock in a pen that had been attacked and he was keeping a close eye on him. The peacock was alive and walking around but he was missing a ton of feathers, the poor boy. I don't know how he mannages with all of those darn varmints breaking in. I thought it was bad enough when those raccoons killed two of my peafowl, both of which were the only birds I had from Glenn, so it was strange that they only killed the ones from him. Anyways I really hope his problems will go away...

First I must give credit to the new guardian of the free range birds which includes peafowl...Here is the great purenees puppy. He is still in training, but he is a good dog and kept trying to take bread from us that we were feeding to the birds. Several times we saw him walking across the yard with a mouthfull of bread and he would go burry it somewhere. It was really funny!

"Do you have anymore bread?"

Here are some of the free-range peafowl (there used to be a bunch more before the predators. Now there are only around 3 peacocks left and maybe 10 or more peahens).
Here are some of the peahens with a guinea and a muscovy duck.

This peahen has a dark feather on her chest...It looks like she is the one to the far left in the photo above. I think this is the peahen that had two peachicks. One was a young peacock, the other was a young peahen. They were cute chicks. Glenn lets his peahens hatch out their own eggs sometimes. They like nesting under the shed.

Here is one of the few remaining peacocks.

Here is the same peacock and one of the peahens eating some bread that I was throwing to them.

Unlike my pen and perhaps some of your pens too, All of Glenn's pens have welded wire or chicken wire tops, so the peafowl can perch ontop of these pens. I guess that is a pro con sort of thing.. Here is another one of the remaining peacocks ontop of a pen. This peacock looks like he is split to blackshoulder.

The peafowl walked across the boards usually when they walked across the pens. I really like the magnolia tree growing in this pen full of ducks that this peahen is walking across.

Here are some peahens waiting for us to throw them some bread. They were ontop of the spalding pen.

Peahen standing on the concreate wall of the pond.

Now for some other free-range birds. Here is a group of muscovies. I don't remember Glenn having muscovies before, but something is always different when we visit. He is always getting new birds.

Then there are some geese and mallards. None of them were swimming in the little pond. I think the free-range ducks are the most easily spooked birds Glenn has. I always keep my distance with them. He told us his ducks like to fly to a nearby creek sometimes and every now and then you will see them flying in comming back from the creek. A neighbor has a pond that I see ducks in sometimes too, so they probably visit the neighbor sometimes too.

One of my favorite row of pens is the row of exotic pheasants. Since I only have peafowl, I am not that used to the display rituals and noises of other birds. When I walk by these pens, the crested firebacks always have something to say...In fact, Glenn said that one lady came over and spent about an hour just talking to one of his creasted firebacks. I like how talkative they are. Here is a photo of the pens... Each pen has a metal feed holder on the door that you can see in this photo, and in the right front corner of every pen is a water jug cut open used as a water holder. In fact, for all of these pens Glenn rakes them all out regularly and adds fresh sand.

Here is a peahen that is perhaps enjoying listening to this Malayan crested fireback. This one is the one that talks the most. He has always been one of my favorite birds that Glenn owns.

Here are more photos of the Malayan crested fireback. This photo shows some of the beautiful blue black shine on the feathers.

This is the Bornean crested fireback.

I guess this is a silver pheasant? I am googling some of these birds to find the name...

The all popular red golden pheasant! Glenn said this is the bird he sells the most of.

Lady Amherst pheasant.

I think this is a swinhoe...

I don't know what kind of pheasant this is, but those red legs are really interesting.

Reeves pheasant. Last time this guy came up and talked to me, but this time he did not. I don't know how long their tails get, but I think his tail is really long!

Grey peacock pheasant. Glenn did have a Palawan peacock, I don't know if he still has it or not...I forgot to check out some of the other pens because I got caught up photographing some other birds, but the pens I didn't see normally holds just chickens anyways.

Now for the penned peafowl Glenn has... Glenn is who I bough Dragon from. This peacock was in the pen next to Dragon and even though this peacock has more white then Dragon did, I got Dragon instead because of his one white eye feather. This pied peacock is beautiful though.

Here is a cameo peacock. Even after seeing a cameo in person, I don't really like cameos only because I like lots of bright colors.

This is the cameo peahen. This is the only picture I got of her.

Here is one of the whites from the white pen. There used to be a beautiful free-range white peacock that was always at the gate to welcome you, but I am afraid he might have been a casualty.

Now for the high % spaldings. They are very nice looking birds, but they are not pure. The peacock used to fence fight with a free-range blackshoulder, and I guess that won't happen anymore seeing as the blackshoulder is gone. The peacock is missing his crest. I don't know if I have ever seen him with a crest so I don't know what his crest would look like.

Peahen

Detail

Peacock- The peacock was calmer than the peahen and would stand still a lot more, so I was able to get better photos of him.

Detail

Even more other birds....
What kind of duck is this? I thought it was a cute little duck...

Royal palm turkey

Big chicken pen...A big pen for little bantam chickens. I am not really into chickens, but if I did ever get some, I think I would want some bantams.

I like the laced ones...

Check out the spur on this guy...I like his feathers...

I didn't even take photos of all the birds... There were several varieties of guineas (all free ranging) some black swans, other kinds of chickens, etc. I had lots of fun!

Omg! Does he ship!!!!! Lol
1f60f.png

Thanks for the pictures. I had never even heard of the firebacks before. In the picture of the peacock you said you thought was split to BS (he's perching on a pen) did you notice that his tail looks like it starts high up on his back? Is that just the way he was perching or is he really colored like that? I would have liked to see a picture of him fanning. The spaldings were nice too. I also like the more vividly colored birds, although the whites are pretty, so I guess I just like them all.

I hadn't heard of firebacks before too. I think many of the birds I had never seen or heard of before until I first visited Glenn. I don't think he has ever had a monal, and that would seems like a bird he would want to have..
I think it is just the way the peacock is perched. It also looks like his feathers might be fluffed a bit. I think I have seen some of my peacocks look like that before too. I guess the whites are the only peafowl I like that aren't very colorful, although right now I have more whites than anything and I have to say I am getting tired of having more whites than anything else, but I am excited about my white peacock being two this year. I can't wait for him to have a full train.

Wow he has an impressive collection. It sounds like your trip was a blast and thank you taking the time to take pictures. Your identification of the pheasants you were not sure about is completely correct! The pheasants with the red legs are Siamese Fireback Pheasants. And the cute little duck is a Ringed Teal, one of my personal favorties of waterfowl! Well I love those crested fireback, they have a wonderful irridescent plumage. I do know most of the pheasants, but I do not have those beautiful varieties. I like the high percentage spalings and that pied peacock as well.
Nice pictures!

Thanks for telling me what the two I couldn't identify were! I love his collection a lot. It was even better when there were more free-range birds. When I would visit in the summer all the peacocks in and out of the pens would be displaying all over the place. Glenn used to let out some bantams to run around durring the day, but he probably isn't doing that because of his new dog. The puppy is good with most of the birds, but he will play with young birds until he finally accidently kills them. Not out of agression or instincts, he just wants to play and needs to learn that they won't exactly play with him and that he is hurting them. I think the dog just needs someone to play with him since he is still a puppy.

My mom said that since I really like visiting Glenn's I should try and visit more since I can drive. She said every time we visit we need to bring some sort of food for the birds because it seems like it makes our visits more worth while when we bring something to give to Glenn since we are not always there to buy or talk about buying something. Glenn is nice, but he doesn't talk much unless you get a conversation started about something that he might have a story to reply with. My parents mainly talked to him while I was taking photos, so I didn't hear everything. I asked my parents what they talked about. They said he was mainly talking about his predator problems as of recently. My mom said he was going on and on about all of these birds he has lost recently and all of them were different kinds...My mom said it was a big list. Also he talked a lot about how he mannages his pens. He was talking about how he needs to replace some of the wire because it is getting frail and rusting. It is definately a lot of work, and probably even more work due to his location being a bad area for many predators. If he was in a different area not surrounded by so many woods it might be easier, but I guess when you have a bunch of birds it attracts a bunch of predators... I like all the noises you hear at his place too...Aside from guineas, peafowl, and ducks, you hear some neat noises from other birds. One of the pheasants... I am pretty sure it was the swinhoe male, started flapping his wing feathers really fast and it made a cool noise...I wasn't sure if that was a form of displaying or not?

That is unfortunate that he does have such predator problems.
And that is the way Swinhoe Pheasants display. Other pheasants do displays similar to that too.

Back
Top Bottom