Breeders/chicks in Northern California?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mishafarms, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mishafarms

mishafarms New Egg

Mar 12, 2009
    Corning, Ca
    Hi all,

If the weather holds and we can get the coop finished, I'll be looking for peeps in the beginning of April.

Willing to travel a few hours from Corning. We are about 1 1/2 hour N of Sac, 1 hour S of Redding, 1/2 NW of Chico.

Thanks in advance,
    Sharon

2. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Hi Sharon,

I'm from Redding. I hope you have luck finding a breeder out here. When I got my chicks, we spoke to several feed stores and they all order them from hatcheries, not local breeders.

If you have to order from a hatchery do it early, they are usually behind on orders in the spring. We ordered ours from Cackle hatchery on March 3, and did not get them until April 18. [​IMG]

Good Luck

3. horsecrazy

horsecrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    bump [​IMG]

i would like any info too, I am in mid cal.

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I lived in Eureka for 3 years and couldnt find a single breeder locally. I heard down south they have chicks but i couldnt drive that far and feel ok with the babies in the car for that long. We waited till we moved to WA to get our chicks but maybe hatching eggs from a BYC member may be your best bet. [​IMG]

5. horsecrazy

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    I know Ideal hatchery is in Fresno, but their birds aren't anything special.

I am really just looking for Orpingtons, silkies, and RIRs. those are my absoloute favorites. but I need live birds, I don't have an incubator for hatching eggs.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    For silkies try windchyme farms...she is in Ione...nice gal

7. horsecrazy

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    have you ordered from her before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by