Breeders Coop/ Barn?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by J's Orpingtons, Nov 20, 2011.

1. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    HI I'm looking to get a barn type coop for Christmas [​IMG] Have anyone BYC members built one? If so can you please post up some pictures and if you don't mind be asking how much did the materials cost? Im looking to build one for my Orpingtons because i plan to breed them in Spring.
    Thanks,
    ~J [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Go clear up to the top of the page and click on COOP DESIGNS Plenty to choose from, ideas galore, all from BYC members

3. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    A coop like this?? well i think its callled the "Duch Hen House" under "Small Coops" under "Coop Designs" I love it!!! I have 3 Banties living in it and its perfect!!! Hope I could help!!!
    [​IMG]

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    i'm curious how many birds you want to set up to breed? all in one pen or multiple pens/colors?

I'm looking to set up breeding pens for multiple colors/breeds, and have an idea what I'm wanting to do but trying to refine it some...

here's the google sketch-up I'm working on. it keeps revising somewhat but this is the idea so far... each section is 8x4, and modular so all i need to do is remove the end plywood and add another section. our winters aren't severe tho so I'm not too worried about weather issues. could probably tarp the front for bad times.

and i really like my outside access nesting boxes, so they've been added too. more work in constructing them than the rest of it i think. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:WOW that is exactly what I was looking for, my poor DH [​IMG]
    Well actually he showed me how to use all the power tools, so I think I will attempt to make that>
    Ayda

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:WOW that is exactly what I was looking for, my poor DH [​IMG]
    Well actually he showed me how to use all the power tools, so I think I will attempt to make that>
    Ayda

it's not in the design but i intend to make wire front with doors for each section. and it's slightly modular so thatif you need you can take one divider out to make an 8x8 area rather than 8x4.

it's going to be built similar to a pole barn, the vertical uprights will be sunk in concrete. i'm building the divider sections first, because of money issues. i can afford to do that much every pay check, then put it all together when i have enough pices to make the whole. you could also add a run to each section if you wanted to, and put the door in each of those i guess. depending on how many birds and the space they need. this is more for my bantams i think and i'll put a small group in each (4-6) without a run, for the dorkings I would add either a run or make an 8x8 section for each trio/quad.

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    There are tons of designs for chicken coops, but there are some factors you MUST consider when building:
    VENTILATION
    KEEPING IT DRY
    EASY ACCESS FOR COLLECTING EGGS
    EASE OF CLEANING/HUMAN ENTRY
    MEETING SPACE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE NUMBER OF BIRDS YOU HAVE

With those in mind, the sky is the limit.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is a gambrel roof type building what you're talking about?

The next picture is from a kit purchased at Lowe's and starts at 8X8 and you can add to it in 4' sections i.e. 8X12, 8X16 and so on.

[​IMG]

Then I built this 6X8 miniature version of the above 8X12 from scratch.

[​IMG]

10. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    While still in the planning stage you might think about doubling your useable square footage under the same roof. My new breeding coop/pen is 16'X20' and 8' at the eaves.
    By double decking the inside I can have up to 8 5X6 pens on the ground and 10 4X6 pens in the upper tier. It is more or less modular and the individual pens can be coupled
    to enlarge them if I want. There is a 4' walkway down the center with a sliding door at each end. The lower pens require bending over to enter, but there is plenty of standing room in the uppers although it takes a ladder to get there.
    Here's a couple of pix. Its still a work in progress, but it is partially occupied.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by