Breeders for old world breeds????

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
Hi
I was searching for breeders and read an old post here that said,
"I also know I want pure unadulterated old world breeds." What are the old world breeds? And am I correct in assuming that the large scale hatcheries are kind of the "puppy mills" of the chicken world?
I am hoping Sussex (esp Speckled Sussex) are among the Old World breeds because I love them.
Thanks to all.

Hi
"I also know I want pure unadulterated old world breeds." What are the old world breeds? And am I correct in assuming that the large scale hatcheries are kind of the "puppy mills" of the chicken world?
I am hoping Sussex (esp Speckled Sussex) are among the Old World breeds because I love them.
Thanks to all.
My best guess is the poster was looking for non-industrial heritage breeds, but many heritage breeds have been bred for performance characteristics. There might be some good info for you at the livestock conservancy or on the SPN network site. If nothing else, you can read about the origins of different breeds and when they were accepted into the standard of perfection.

A good heritage breed bird will be a great forager and give good quality meat and eggs. They'll be heartier on a pasture based system and naturally reproducing. That said, my heritage birds show no interest in going broody, which I can live with.

Hi
Thanks to all.
They may mean heritage breeds that have been carefully selected and bred for specific qualities be it egg laying color - feathering or temperament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom