Breeders good or bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Oct 27, 2013.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    We got 2 new chicks from a breeder and they haven't been vaccinated and I was wondering if they will get sick easier?? Anyone know

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are those flock keepers who believe in Fit of the Fittest and resistance principle.
    There are those flock keepers who want to raise their birds in a kind of bio-secure bubble, if they could, to protect them from all diseases.

These views are world's apart. Doesn't specifically answer your question, but you can see there are two very divergent points of view.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yup,i am the bio-secure bubble type,so far so good. Mine are not vaccinated for anything. Lol

4. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    They seem to be doing okay hope for the best!!:pop

5. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    You really never know with this situation I lost chicks to cocodisis and it sort of trmatized me sooo I took a risk with breeders anyone know a good way to prevent cocodisis?? I am sorta desperate I heard vinegar but does that work?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Corid. This is available as liquid or powder at a TSC or other farm/feed store near you.

If you put 1 full teaspoon in a gallon of water, you'll be administering a preventative amount. Should a break out occur, you can increase that to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon. This is for the 20% powdered form. Provide no supplements, such a vitamins, as these counter act the Corid.

Keep drinking water spotless clean and regularly clean the feeder. Clean bedding regularly.

There are 8 or 9 strains of coccidiosis and these are moved about the globe by wild birds. Sorry, but no bubble will keep the wild fowl from moving the cysts about, in my view. Rainy, damp and warm conditions seem to aggravate the conditions for an outbreak, in my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by