Breeders: How do you keep autosexing strong in a breed?

KPenley

Songster
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Anderson, SC
Newbie learning question: I've been reading that most purebred birds are mated to their siblings or parents in order to keep autosexing strong in their breed. And chicks without a strong "tell" are culled early or watched to see if they pass on the lesser color difference to their offspring (and then culled if they do). How do you keep the color differences strong while avoiding the problems that too much inbreeding causes?

Newbie learning question: I've been reading that most purebred birds are mated to their siblings or parents in order to keep autosexing strong in their breed. How do you keep the color differences strong while avoiding the problems that too much inbreeding causes?
Autosexing breeds are autosexing always, it just wont go away, if you are worried about inbreeding just introduce another rooster every other year...

Newbie learning question: I've been reading that most purebred birds are mated to their siblings or parents in order to keep autosexing strong in their breed. And chicks without a strong "tell" are culled early or watched to see if they pass on the lesser color difference to their offspring (and then culled if they do). How do you keep the color differences strong while avoiding the problems that too much inbreeding causes?
What breeds have you been reading this about?

I was going gaga over the legbars and rhodebars. And then I got really excited when I learned that some breeders were getting autosex traits with barnevelders. Thank you for the clarification.

Back
Top Bottom