BREEDERS! I need some ideas for Broody Hen enclosures!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capayvalleychick, Jul 26, 2011.

1. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    My broody hens are crowding together and sharing nests, resulting in poor hatches.

I would like some ideas for broody hen pens. What do you use?

I have tried large dog Vari Kennels. These are ok but the food & water spill and the manure gets too messy. I need a better idea.

Another issue is the heat here. It is over 100 degrees with very low humidity for a large part of the summer. This is when the girls decided to get broody. [​IMG]

I've also had difficulty moving broodies. They get upset and quit.

So, any and all advice is welcome! Thank you! [​IMG]

Kim

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have used crate too. I have built a small BQ tractor for the broodie and the 1st aid I have posted it yesterday .

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I hope this will help you
    [​IMG]

4. capayvalleychick

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Quote:Thanks! Where/how do you put food & water in it?

Kim

5. capayvalleychick

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Quote:I found your photos. Very creative! Love your Delawares, too!

Kim

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Kim, I use single nesting boxes that can be easily picked up and moved. When I get a broody, I go to her at night and put a piece of cardboard over the opening of the nest. Then I pick up the nest and carry it to my "maternity" pens. These pens are 30" X 30" and 30" tall. I remove the cardboard and let her settle for the night. After she has proven that she will set in her new location, for a couple nights, I go again at night and remove her original eggs and replace them with fresh ones that have been collected and dated for this occasion. Then I mark my calendar. I use hay for bedding for 2 reasons. Hay is great for strengthening chick legs and is easy to clean the huge poops that broodies leave. Before moving them into the maternity pen I set it up with food and water. The hen has the whole 21 days in there without being disturbed by anyone or anything except me when I feed or clean and that is as brief as possible. I do candle at day 7 and 14. The matenity pens that I have used in the past are built much like a tic tac toe pattern with 3 levels of 3 pens. The side walls are solid on the interrior compartments with hardare cloth used everywhere else, providing plenty of ventilation. The next ones I build will be two levels with the top level and bottom level more conducive to access as I`m only 6' 2" and can`t reach the top pens well on the 3rd level, same with the bottom row as I`m to old to be bending that low, LOL. BTW, I leave mom and babies in the 30" X 30" pen until they are about 2 weeks old, or crowding occures, then move them to a 4' x 5' pen with a dirt floor. Has worked well for me for a long time. Hope you can use some of this info............Pop

You might like these. Don`t forget the spring that is sold seperately.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_60_61&products_id=855
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:That sounds like an excellent plan!

8. capayvalleychick

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Quote:That sounds like an excellent plan!

I agree! Thank you! [​IMG]

Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by