Breeders in maine

big greg barker

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
central maine
Hi are there any breeders in Maine out there? I want to get chix in the spring to put in the new coop, but getting them through the mail may pose some problems. Not many, but I think I would like to support my local people.
Thanks,
Greg

I do not know of any in Maine. You may want to post this in the New England thread. What kind of chickens are you looking for?

I'm mostly looking for BOs and BRs. Quieter dual purpose. I figured maybe there was someone in the area, but if I can't find any here,
I will just have to get them through the mail. The local feed stores don't get chix until May or June, and that is too late. I want to start around the end of Feb. You know how it is, once you get the itch, yuo just have to scratch............

I am going to try hatching in the spring. I will have mixes from my flock and my neighbor has a flock of mostly all barred rock hens with a few BSL hens in it. The downside would be I can not sex day olds for you, but I wouldn't recommend getting shipped poultry in Feb either.

I'm in Vermont so not a awfully long drive for you....

I'll have point of lay Red Stars in mid February. They are chicks right now and are gorgeous and happy. These are an awesome egg laying cross breed. I normally sell out fast once I advertise them. Currently I have 50 and they are full of personality.

My oldest Red Stars turn 7 years old in 2009, there is a reason I still have them! BIG eggs, calm personalities and easy to work with.

Do any of you still have breed/show quality blk or lav Ameraucanas? I am going an hour to get two hens and a roo. It would be nice if I could start breeding in the next year.

Back
Top Bottom