Breeders in Maine

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by enggass, Nov 25, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I am having little luck searching online for Breeders in Maine.
    Interested in any of the following:
    BCM, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Americauna or Wyandottes.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I don't know anyone but I do have BCMs. They will be laying soon. They are kept in the barn not the coop with the others. They are pure BCMs. I will give you some test eggs if you want them. Free. I will need a tester. I don't need anymore chicks running around this winter in the cellar. I already have two silkies chicks and some porcelains that I just put in the bator. They should be laying by January. If this is something your interested in let me know. I would only ask that you pick them up. I live in Old Town.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I was thinking chicks at this point. I'm not into the Hatching thing yet. Probably next year. Do you have any pix of your birds?
    I live in So. Thomaston (next to Rockland). Would you be interested in selling a couple of chicks this Spring?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Have you tried Craigslist?

If you just haven't any luck, I'd say wait it out til spring. Black Copper Marans are especially worth the wait and the time and money for hatching eggs! Even if you don't want to go that route, there may be some breeders nearby in the spring who will post Craigslist ads.

We have both Black Copper Marans and Ameraucanas, and sell hatching eggs, but are in WA.

Are you looking for good quality birds or just anything? Because to find good Wyandottes or Ameraucanas you'll need to have a good eye or just ask around and get eggs from BYC users. Both are commonly sold from hatchery stock, and of course that means the Ameraucanas will be Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

5. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Ok that would be great. I will get you some pictures. I bought them from a person on ebay. Here is the person I bought from.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160484884497
    They were gorgeous eggs. Real dark. I don't know what the standard is but they are good looking chickens. I will try for a picture tomorrow if the weather is nice. I heard rain maybe snow.

I know where Rockland is. I used to live on Chebeague Island.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Cool. Are the roo/hen(that will lay the eggs you will have) originally from the eggs you bought? Can't wait to see pix.
    Thanks,
    Steve

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    This is LaRoo my cockreal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the whole gang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one (below) is my favorite. I call her Munchkin. She is different looking because she only has 2 prongs on her comb. She's a nice pullet.

[​IMG]

This one is pumpkin. I know her because she will follow me like a dog. Likes to ride on my shoulder like a parrot.

[​IMG]

They were born on August 5th. 4 pullets 1 cockreal.

They are all from the same person I bought from in the link above. They are not mixed with my other chickens. They were none to happy being in the snow but it was pretty easy to handle them.

I can sex them for you at one day old. You will know what your getting. I am pretty good at sexing chickens at day old. I can even do it from a picture provided it's real close and clear. It's pretty easy.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Nice. They don't appear to have much copper on the neck area of the pullets. Is this because they are only 4 months old? I would love 2 of them in the Spring! Pullets only for now. Do you think that would be possible? I plan on getting some other chicks at the mid/end of March. Any chance you could hatch a couple around the same time?
    I hope we can work something out!
    Also, they look as though they are the featherless legged breed. No?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Sure thing. I can probably hatch out some from the one that has the most copper on her. There is one that has a lot more on her neck than the others. No problem with giving you pullets provided they cooperate. I can use a few more in my flock anyway. So it will work out. Just let me know what day you want them and I can have them pretty much hatch out the day you want. Just pm me when your ready. I check here about every day. The ones I have now are still young so I think maybe they will change a little in color. I will post some more pictures in a few months when they start laying. I will take pictures of the eggs too. If you happen on someone selling bcm eggs let me know I am interested for my next project. I would rather buy from Maine because I get better hatch rates if they don't go through the mail system. I got lucky with my bcm's. 6 out of 8 hatched. I had to cull one. Was a male with no eye. Odd.

10. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What about feathering on the legs? Proper French BCM should have feathering, although a few lines don't. (just what I've read - I'm no expert).
    I will certainly get to you with a date. Like I said, aiming for mid/late March. I am ordering a few other breeds from Meyer's. When I know the dates of their arrival, I'll be in touch. Like to have them all close together in age. Do you have any other breeds??? I look forward to more pix! Feel free to PM me anytime. I will give them a good home.

Currently I have 3 RIR and 2 BR. Hatchery stock. Got them locally but they originated from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. Great Layers!
    Thanks,
    S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by