breeders

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tuesdays chicks, Oct 4, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    how do you choose which to use for breeders, and which to cull? do you choose the largest to breed?

2. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    People usually pick larger birds when they are breeding for meat. Others breed for looks if they are trying to develop a particular color or pattern. Any bird with an obvious genetic defect usually gets culled; such as crossed beak, which is usually a sign of inbreeding. Aside from that, it is usually just the breeder's personal preference.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:X's 2 [​IMG]

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI

Most breed to the standard, even if they do not show. The APA book of standard.or ABA book for bantams, it is good place to start, breeding to what you are looking for if you have clear idea works to or a combination. By using the standard you will get an idea what birds to cull. Some breeds don't show there true 'colors' till they are at least 9months old.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I concur! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Most breed to the standard, even if they do not show. The APA book of standard.or ABA book for bantams, it is good place to start, breeding to what you are looking for if you have clear idea works to or a combination. By using the standard you will get an idea what birds to cull. Some breeds don't show there true 'colors' till they are at least 9months old.

There really isn't a 'standard' for coturnix that I'm aware of.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Most breed to the standard, even if they do not show. The APA book of standard.or ABA book for bantams, it is good place to start, breeding to what you are looking for if you have clear idea works to or a combination. By using the standard you will get an idea what birds to cull. Some breeds don't show there true 'colors' till they are at least 9months old.

There really isn't a 'standard' for coturnix that I'm aware of.

But there should be! [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:There really isn't a 'standard' for coturnix that I'm aware of.

I think someone was searching through the 'recent posts' and didn't notice that the post was in the quail forum lol

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:There really isn't a 'standard' for coturnix that I'm aware of.

Eggsactly [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

1 LIL TINY PROBLEM HERE...... QUAIL HAVE NO SHOW STANDARDS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by