Breeding a coturnix male to a bob white female??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kajhurley, Oct 20, 2011.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    If i put a bob white female in with a coturnix male alone seperate from my other birds, will they breed and have fertile eggs?? And if so how long would the incubation be??

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yes it is possible the incubation time I want to say is maybe 20 days I am not shore, there have been a couple people that I've already tried this and they call it a bob bird you might be able to search the forums for it using the search function. the way I see it go ahead and try it out you never know it might work. and yes they can be fertile.

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I'm not sure bob-birds ARE fertile I think they are a "mule", that first generation of eggs will be somewhat fertile though (I say somewhat because, I think, being a cross they have lower hatchability).

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Well, a "Bob-bird" is simply a cross between a coturnix and a bob. The jury is still out if that offspring is fertile or not. People tend to loose interest because the results are generally not what they were expecting.

However, some people just got to do it!

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    well 1 in (some huge number) of mules are fertile so i'm sure there are a few out there but, I've also heard the bob-bird tend to be a disapointment.

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Well, the problem with bob-birds is....They don't have all the advantages of bobs plus all the advantages coturnix, wrapped up in a big pink bow, with none of the down sides. It just doesn't work out like that!

The problem with genetics...some times 1+2 doesn't equal 3...it never equals 10...ever.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

the bob bird, well they hatch the same as coturnix 18 days etc.

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    You will get the Bob-bird, a rather ugly looking mishmash of coturnix and bobwhite traits. Fertility on F1s (the first set of eggs) is poor to nearly nonexistent. If the eggs do hatch, the offspring (called the F1 cross) will probably be slightly more sterile than the Gobi Desert in summertime. Even more fun, if you do wind up with some F1 chicks that may be fertile, you definitely do not want to breed chicks from the same originating pair together because all you do then is actually enforce the potential for sterility.

That being said, make two pair with one pair labeled A consisting of a male bob and female coturnix (find the most submissive coturnix you can) and the other labeled B with a male coturnix and female bob. Mark the eggs carefully and get hold of some leg bands if you can. If you have any hatch from pair A, keep your fingers crossed that you get viable chicks from pair B to match up with. Any chicks that may result from these would be an F2... F2s that are fertile (and these have a better chance at fertility than the original F1s so your odds just went up) need to be crossed back with either the Bob or the coturnix to produce the F3... once you hit F3 you can breed F3s all you want since those have just a slightly higher than average infertility rate compared to pure breeds. You still have an ugly bird tho.

More times than not you wind up with an ugly bird that isn't much for flying, isn't that much bigger than the originating bob, and in my experience louder than a coturnix roo on steroids with a bullhorn. For some reason, those first gen (F1s) are very loud. And cranky too.

Hatching is 18-21 days depending on which hen you use. Normally 18 for the coturnix hen, up to 21 when you use a bob hen. I'd stop turning on day 16 or 17, going as long as I can before heading into lockdown just in case it's one of those where the bob genes decide to make you stress a bit before hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by