Breeding a drake with corrected angel wing

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I have a 6 week old drake who looks like he may be developing angel wing on one side. None of my ducks have had it before so I'm not entirely sure, I'll get a picture when I get home. If that's what it is I'll try wrapping it. But I'm wondering if that would disqualify him from being bred in the future? Can it be passed on to his offspring?

There seems to be a bit mixed thoughts on angel wing. It could just be a bit much protein in the feed. We had a couple girls start getting it, we wrapped their wings for about a week and I added some oats to feed for a few weeks. I used a feed calculator to figure how much oats to drop the protein of my feed down a couple percent. I have read there could be genetic issues, and some saying because of that breeding isn't recommended. To me it seems if you are not going to be raising them for production it would probably be fine as pet ducks as it really probably wouldn't be much an issue to just feed some lower protein feed with them since you are not breeding for that growth rate and needing to "fatten" them up beyond a healthy diet and weight. If wanting to breed for show it could run into same issues if it is genetic and is passed to the offspring also.

There seems to be a bit mixed thoughts on angel wing. It could just be a bit much protein in the feed. We had a couple girls start getting it, we wrapped their wings for about a week and I added some oats to feed for a few weeks. I used a feed calculator to figure how much oats to drop the protein of my feed down a couple percent. I have read there could be genetic issues, and some saying because of that breeding isn't recommended. To me it seems if you are not going to be raising them for production it would probably be fine as pet ducks as it really probably wouldn't be much an issue to just feed some lower protein feed with them since you are not breeding for that growth rate and needing to "fatten" them up beyond a healthy diet and weight. If wanting to breed for show it could run into same issues if it is genetic and is passed to the offspring also.
Thank you! I don't breed for show but I do still breed for quality birds, and I also don't want to sell him as a breeder if he might pass that on. It's a pity because I really like him.

It's the left wing. It doesn't always stick out far but doesn't fold flat like the other either.
20230508_164511.jpg
20230508_164437.jpg
20230508_164521.jpg

Thank you! I don't breed for show but I do still breed for quality birds, and I also don't want to sell him as a breeder if he might pass that on. It's a pity because I really like him.

It's the left wing. It doesn't always stick out far but doesn't fold flat like the other either.
View attachment 3497917View attachment 3497918View attachment 3497919
He looks like a really friendly guy! And a cute one for sure.

I wrapped it for a couple nights and then he wriggled out of the wrap. The wing still wasn't flat but as the feathers grew out it seems to have fixed itself. Does anyone know if angel wing can do that, or if it just likely wasn't angel wing?

Back
Top Bottom