breeding a red sex link and a black sex link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cash money, Sep 4, 2014.

1. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I now that I won't get a sex linked offspring

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's impossible to say for sure what you'll get since they are both hybrids to begin with, but the offspring definitely won't be sex link. They will basically be mutt birds. Since both roosters used for Red and Black Sex Links are red gene roosters, the offspring will likely have lots of red feathering in them, probably interspersed with some white and black or lightly barred feathering. I'm guessing somewhat as I've never actually seen the offspring of this particular cross, but it would be interesting to see what kind of mutt birds it produced.

3. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I want to see too I might set up some breeding pens and get sex link chickens next spring

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on which is which parent.

Bsl roo over rsl hen, you'll get a mix of red and black birds, with some possible whites for good measure. Half the birds will be barred, regardless of gender.

Rsl roo over Bsl hen, I think you'll get mostly black or black/white birds, maybe some red lekage, no barring. Either way, you'll have a mishmash of mixed breed birds that should be decent layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by