Breeding a rhode island white rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sammysam, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    What would I get if I bred a rhode island white roo with the following. Australorp? Rhode Island red? Barred rock? and a white leghorn? Would they be able to be sexed? And would they be good egg layers?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    You'd get mixes, egg laying abilities would probably be the same as they are normally. The Leghorn might produce more than the others.

No, they wouldn't be sexlinked. The only ones that possibly might be would be the BRs eggs. But I'm not sure.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

To my understanding if you breed the RIR roo with the White leg horn you would get sex linked. But not too sure about the RIR white with those. I would think they would be sex linked.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    x Barred Rock and you get Sex-Links.

Otherwise you just get good pet/layer type mutts.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your barred rock's babies would be sex linked cause she's a barred hen under a non barred roo, basically. The babies with a white headspot will turn out barred and be cockerals, the babies with solid heads will be hens.

Okay, thinking while I'm typing this, I don't know if the roo is dominant white and that might obscure the headspot? If that is the case you might not be able to tell at hatch.

The rest of the hens' will just be barnyard mix, nice layers. And they'll all be able to be sexed................eventually!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe true Rhode Island Whites are recessive white, but the question is, does your rooster have a rose comb and very rectangular shape of body?

If he doesn't, it is probably a 50/50 chance of white or not offspring. So, breed and find out. If they turn out white, well, that's a bit of a problem. If not, that's great.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by