Breeding a White Leghorn rooster with..?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sealer39, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:44 PM.

1. sealer39

sealer39 Chirping

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I’m trying to make up my mind for next year.
    So I got back into chickens after a 5 year hiatus. Mainly for pets for my daughters and eggs for all of us. Plus I like chickens. Very long story short, I currently have these hens that are now just beginning to lay:
    3 White Leghorns
    3 Speckled Sussex
    1 EE
    1 Production Blue
    and I ended up with a WL rooster named “Scruffy” that was supposed to be a pullet.
    55B2A4C7-9FAA-46D8-9FFA-23B05F9F64B0.jpeg
    Concerns and Goals:
    What I would like out of a batch of chicks (if I decide to hatch some) would be proficient layers of large eggs. I don’t care what color the chicks or eggs turn out to be.
    With kids however, I discovered that chickens are a lot more fun if they can tell one from the other. How can you name a chicken when there are 6 of 8 that look just alike! And what good is a chicken if you can’t name it! Oh well, Dads can’t be perfect all the time.
    From the little research I’ve done I found that if I cross my WL roo with any of the above hens I should get some descent (at least) layers. But, I think all the chicks will be white due to the dominant white of the WL roo.

Based on my concerns, my questions are:
    Next year, should I try to breed him with anything other than my leghorn hens? Or should I just breed him with the Leghorns and buy some more pullets for a better overall variety. If you had my flock what would you do?

2. Fishsticks06

Fishsticks06 Chirping

Jun 1, 2019
    Western North Carolina.
    I’d just have diversity, all of your hens should lay the around the same rate. Just collect a batch of eggs from one day or 2 and incubate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: