Breeding advice needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jungleexplorer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    This is copied from another thread. I thought I would start my own thread so I could focus on my question.

Okay. I have a some breeding questions. I want to breed some more Games and I have a few good roosters. I want to match up my roosters with my hens and I need your help to do it. Here goes.

Here are my roosters.

Hatch Stage
    [​IMG]

Son of the above Stage.
    [​IMG]

Also son of the Hatch Stag.
    [​IMG]

Here are samples of my hens. I have Wheatens, BBReds and Brown Reds. I have three or four of each and I want to breed one of the above stags with each type.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Not a ton of help here as I don't raise old English. What I can tell you is I did try this breed before my lil birds died all of various reasons. The birds in the pictures need their tails fanned out more though. When trying to improve this put your rooster with the most fanned out tail with some of your hens that have the most fanned out tails. If all goes to plan then next generation the offspring will all have more fanned out tails. As you keep doing this eventually the tails will be fanned out like they need to be. Another thing you can do is if one bird has maybe a tail that is carried slightly too high an done is a bit on the low side then hopefully when paired up the chicks will get a tail carried in that happy medium. Some things will only take one generation to improve and others will take five. It all depends on how drastic the change is you are looking for in the thing you need/want to trade. Hope you understand all of that.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're not Old English, their tails are fine.

4. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh my bad. Just looked like it to me. Like I said I'm not good with whatever breed that is. I'm a brahma person.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    These are American Games, which came from Old English, so it is easy to get them confused. Personally, I can't tell them apart either except for my variety of AGs have green (blue, slate) legs, which I believe is not found in Old English (not sure).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh that makes sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by