Breeding age for Muscovies and Geese?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Oct 6, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I recently read (on here) that muscovies don't breed until 2 years of age? I've heard the same about geese. Is this correct?

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have not heard that about muscovies...I can't believe it to be true..I have 2 females that both hatched out 2 clutches and I was told that they were both under a yr. Old.

3. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I find it hard to believe too! They grow up so fast! I have some geese. The Ganders are at least 5+ years old, not sure their exact age. The females lay and sit on eggs but are infertile. The boys don't breed them. I was given a Ebden Gander recently this summer who hatched out this past spring. I was wondering if he would be old enough to breed the female geese this coming spring? [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    2 years old for geese. Occasionally, you will have a goose lay eggs when she is a yearling, but don't count on it.

I have a 2 year old gander here and he has grown a lot this year, put on perhaps an additional 10 pounds of muscle and additional height. So a two year old goose is not yet full grown. A well cared-for goose might live as long as 30 years. Raising geese is a long term project.

I suspect that might not be true about the Muscovy ducks, but I'll let a Muscovy breeder answer that one.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry not true, I have Muscovies and when those girls turn 5 months they are no longer virgins. My drake makes sure of that. Now my first drake was 1 year old when i got him so not sure what age a drake is sexually active but I bet it's before 2. I do have a drake that is 4 months old now and doesn't seem interested in females yet, but I bet come spring he will be.

6. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    So Male geese aren't sexually active at a year old and aren't sexually active after 5 years old. I'm glad they are only pets! I just feel bad for the girl goosies.[​IMG]

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have had muscovy girls that were 7-8 months successfully sit on and raise a clutch. They actually did it together just this past Spring, they hatched like 30 of the little boogers..

I am still newer to geese, have only been breeding them for a year. Have never had a goose under a year, except one, sit on a nest and she gave up about a week in. My ganders dont even seem remotely interested until their second year.

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:sounds like I am gonna have some happy muscovys come spring! [​IMG]

9. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

my muscovy babies breed the spring after their birth..........busy babies.....busy, busy busy! [​IMG]

and once they hatch, if I take those babies away ( or the eggs from the nest ) they will start all over
    after they have gotten over their babies being gone, in a few weeks time, laying eggs day after day
    and once they have a good clutch of eggs again they sit and it all starts over once again!!

I love my muscovy's ! [​IMG]

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    [[[[........So Male geese aren't sexually active at a year old and aren't sexually active after 5 years old.....]]]]

The ganders will be sexually active long past 5 years. A 5 year old gander is just entering his prime.

It's possible with geese, though, that a gander will only mate with his bonded mate and with no other. Some ganders will bond with one and sneak around and mate with a few others, but some are faithful to their bonded mate. There is no way to predict which way a gander will go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by