Breeding Ameraucanas???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rock Wyandotte, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Rock Wyandotte

Rock Wyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Newbury, Vermont
    I bought eggs on ebay that were called "Blue Wheaten Ameraucana". I now have 4 healthy adult ameraucanas, two hens are I think what you'd call "White Wheaten", one rooster that would be "White Wheaten" and one rooster that is a "Blue Wheaten" - all beautiful birds and I'm very happy with them. My question is who to breed with whom to get a Blue Wheaten. Will my blue wheaten roo and a white wheaten hen make a blue or a white? Or is there some percentage to predict the outcome? I am familiar with the "blue, black, splash gene" in Orpingtons and other chickens. My two hens are laying beautiful blue eggs. I can only keep one rooster and I'm not sure which to keep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just went online and looked up pictures of Ameraucanas. My hens are "Blue Wheaten". How did I get a white rooster out of the same batch of eggs? It looks like I should keep the blue wheaten roo to breed with my two hens.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by