Breeding Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by moonlit622, Mar 20, 2012.

1. moonlit622

moonlit622 New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Sorry if this is a repeat question, but with two little ones under two I just don't have time to search old posts [​IMG] I have a lovely Ameraucana rooster and am wondering if I breed him to non-Ameraucana hens, will I get coloured egg layers?

Cheers,
    Rachael

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    easter eggers so yes you will you could get blue pink or a yellow green kinda egg

3. Hi Rachael! Welcome to BYC!
    This might be helpful. I copied and saved it from a more knowledgable genetics persons post when I was trying to learn.

Blue Egg Genetics

The gene for blue eggs O is dominant, birds that have either O/O or O/o+ will have the gene.

This gene is located extremely close to the pea comb gene P, again a dominant so either P/P or P/p+ will be pea combed.

These genes are nearly always inherited together. So any pea combed pullets are very likely to lay blue/green based eggs.

Green to Khaki eggs are blue eggs with a surface coating of brown pigment.

(Daughters of:)

A blue egg O/O male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs.

A blue egg O/O male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay green eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some blue eggs and some white eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some green/khaki eggs and some brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by