Breeding and Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CCourson05, Mar 14, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Is a hen ready to lay as soon as she lets a rooster copulate with her? If she has never laid before, will her first egg be fertile if the rooster topped her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would suggest you go to the learning center and read some basics about chickens. Hens do not have to have a rooster present to lay eggs. Eggs are usually fertile about 3 days after the first mating.

3. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I know you don't have to have a hen. I have a silkie who has not yet started to lay. Yesterday, I saw the rooster topping her. Is that a sign she is about to lay, and is her first egg capable of being fertile?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the squatting behavior is "presenting" for breeding, and when pullets begin squatting it is indicating the onset of laying, I'd say what you observed is an indication that laying is indeed at onset. Yes, it would seem that if the mounting took, her eggs will be fertile from the get go. However, it is best to allow the new POL pullet to establish herself. Her early eggs may be rubber bullets without a shell properly formed, small in size and so forth. Once she has laid a dozen eggs, she'll lay an egg more typical. Hope that helps.

5. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Thanks. That was insanely helpful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by