breeding aseels! a difficult job?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by petslover, Jan 11, 2014.

1. petslover

petslover New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've got a pair of aseels.it's been about two weeks they haven't mated once.male does perform the courtship but does not try to mount.neither does the female show intrest in mating yet.someone told me they will breed in spring and in summer females usually dont lay unless the day becomes longer.any experience or suggestion about breeding would be appreciated.should i wait or change the female.i have been giving both of them seven seas fish capsules.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Aseels are notoriously poor layers, and it's unlikely that the hen will begin to lay till the days get considerably longer. Just feed them a good quality layer feed, and when the time is right they will begin to mate and the hen will lay a small amount of eggs. I've raised them in the past, and never got more than 3 dozen eggs from a hen in a season. The roosters will often fight to the death, even if they are raised together from hatching. The hens will also fight a lot, but not nearly as much as the roosters. I liked mine, but they are too short feathered to survive in our cold climate.

3. petslover

petslover New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    So you think they are not mating because we have winter here right? M giving them good feed and really want to get some hatching from em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by