breeding astolorpes and americana/black star

the3hices

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
Hello all!!
We had five astolorpe hens given to us, and then today we had a new addition!!
We now have a rooster! He is an Americana/black star breed....so my question is will he be able to breed the ladies? We are hoping to grow our lil family in the spring with them...will this work?? Not sure where to look up breeding breeds of chickens....Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif

He'll be quite happy to mate with your hens.

Oh, he is happily doing that!!! I was just curious if there will be any problems with the chicks being ok?? I know some breeds have reproduction issues...Just curious as to if this combo would....He has taken to the "leader" role very easily!!! I am pretty sure he has never been so happy!! And the ladies are all overcome with joy to have him round!! Even our ducks seem to love him! He was cleaning their feathers for them even!!

I'm not certain what you mean by 'reproduction issues', but there is no reason they should not produce healthy cross bred chicks.

I had heard that there can be genetic issues.....but they are all healthy and look like they are all developed normally...I am a newbie...I just wanted to be sure!!!

welcome-byc.gif

They'll be fine. You'll have black and black barred chicks, sounds like. I've had black sex link roosters and ee mixes as my flock roosters for several years and love the mixes I get from them!

Hi,

We have a solid white "undetermined breed, (with chochin due to feathery feet and super defined muscles and he crows constantly, who has mated with a black Astolorpe with a fan like tail.His name is Rocky and the Astolorpe is named Petra, A friend is letting her hen brood the egg for us and we are so curious how this chick will turn out but we are hoping for the best of both breeds as these two are absolutely adorable. Hope we don't regret it.
Best of Luck to you and your flock,
w

Keep em happy!

Back
Top Bottom