Breeding behavior in teenage ganders?? HUH??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Iain Utah, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I am noticing behavior changes in my pair recently. Recently they have been wandering around like they are looking for something. Yesterday they came over to the front porch (which is a distance from the horse property) like it was their intentional destination, checked things out, then went back to the horse property. Hubby said he was told the geese (there was a large group on property before) used to nest under porch. Hubby also said that one was starting to act aggressive towards him at evening feed… but they have never liked him much. Then this morning, one of them hissed at me!! This is a first!! I was told they were a pair of ganders in their teens (but the person was not sure), so I am surprised to see what I am assuming is breeding behavior??

Does this sound like breeding behavior?
    Would a pair of ganders show this behavior?
    If it is a goose/gander pair, how late in life can they breed?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So you bought this property and inherited the ganders with the property? I don't have geese that old so I don't really know, but I would guess they still have a rise in hormones in the late winter and spring and may have some instincts to search for a mate and a nest and be a bit moody despite not having a female around. If one of them lays eggs then you will know one of them is a goose instead of a gander (yes, I am stating the obvious). Perhaps someone who has been in a similar situation will have more insight.

3. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Geese can live and reproduce up into their twenties! You'll know in a few months, if one lays an egg, it's a goose LOL

4. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Into their 20s?!?! It would be so cool if they turned out to be a breeding pair! [​IMG]

When should I start hunting for eggs? [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If there are no other geese around, 2 males will pair up. They have extremely strong instincts concerning nesting and the ganders are still going to be in nest protection mode even when there is no female.

If you have room, it would be nice if you could find a couple of young females. Occasionally, they are available on craigslist if you are patient.

6. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Scratch, they belonged to the previous owner who passed away 2 years ago. A neighbor lady had fed them until we moved in last summer. That is why the information about my pair is unreliable.

Oregon, I'm trying to get these guys buddies!! I have been keeping a close eye on my local ads for a few months now. Seems they are impossible to come by in my area? [​IMG]

BUT, I do have 6 african eggs on day 12 in my bator now. [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can be guaranteed that if any of your eggs hatch the ganders will adopt and protect the goslings.

8. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Sourland, I REALLY hope that the goslings hatch and my pair adopts them! I have been reading up on how to best introduce them to my pair and am getting excited. Today is day 13 and I have 6 frisky embryos developing. [​IMG]

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That's excellent! I only have 2 ganders left of my own. They do get frisky and fight in breeding season. I've located a farm that has some females in my area, well, almost in my area. I plan to add a couple soon. Would be nice to have some eggs in the bator, but no bator here, just hens. Oh, When I got geese about 10 years ago, I bought a waterfowl book from Strombergs. In it was stated that geese can live to be 100 and can reproduce up until age 40ish. Good luck with your hatch. Geese are very family oriented and your ganders should take to the goslings immediately..........Pop

10. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Hey Pop, I got my standard african eggs from Celtic Oaks, who lives about 2 hours away from you. She also has sebbies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by