Breeding behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dcannao, Dec 9, 2016.

1. dcannao

dcannao Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2016
    Hi All,
    I'm new to ducks but not new to incubating eggs (I bred reptiles for years). I have 1 khaki drake, 2 magpie hens, and 1 call hen. My drake is new to the flock (2 weeks). 1 magpie is 7 months old and has been laying an egg a day for the past 4 weeks, the other magpie and call are both 6 months old and have not produced any eggs yet. Once I introduced the drake both 6 month old ducks began bobbing their heads rapidly and following around the drake chattering a lot. I have witnessed the drake mounting both of my magpies on several occasions. My question is could the egg producing magpie begin dropping fertile eggs? I've been candling the last few with no observable fertility. I work most evenings until after dark but I have lights on which keep their pen lit until I put them away (lengthening daylight hours). Just throwing that in their so all the facts are known. Any input is graciously accepted.
    Darren

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Okay........I will walk along the line of getting in trouble.....lol

Drakes, as you must know, have a Penis....He first must really breed the Hen in order to fertilize eggs.......That will need to happen....

Also, the new hens are head bobbing to say they are nice and not a threat to anyone......Just happy Duck chat......

Cheers!

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    If you crack open an egg than you should be able to tell if it is fertile by looking at the yolk.
    [​IMG]
    A fertile egg will have a 'bullseye' and an infertile egg will just have a small white dot.

Also does your drake have his curly tail feather? [​IMG]
    I have heard that only fertile drakes have them. If not, you may have to wait until spring for ducklings!

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]Took the words out my mouth- er, keyboard...
    Probably coz when they molt they've got other thing to worry about than being fertile

1 person likes this.
  5. dcannao

Dec 5, 2016
    [​IMG]
    very curly tail!

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your Drake is young.......They do their best connected breeding in water......Kiddie pool...........

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  7. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Very handsome! As the others said it will probally take a couple more weeks for him to 'properly' mate them. I'm intrested to see what Magpie - Khaki Campbell crosses turn out like!

8. dcannao

Dec 5, 2016
    Ok so my magpie has been laying for a few weeks prior to the introduction of my khaki drake. 3 weeks after the drake's intro i have fertile eggs! I have a few quick questions:
    1. I have multiple females but only this one laying eggs. One day there was no egg but the next day there were 2! Not buried or hidden so i thought anither female began laying also but haven't had 2 eggs since...could she have laid both overnight?
    2. I have a homemade incubator i made from an old wine fridge. Reptile heat tape, internal fans, really nice...how critical are temp fluctuations from 98°-100°? Would 98° just cause incubation to be a bit longer but not have an impact on the health of the egg/embryo?
    Fire all answers, questions, and concerns at me please.
    As always, greatly appreciated,
    Darren[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by