Breeding Black Orpingtons

Drew74

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Hello, I am interested in the different techniques to breeding show quality chickens. I will be recieving a trio of year old black orpingtons this fall and then in the early winter I wil be recieving 15 chicks from the same breeder. I want to prevent inbreeding with my chickens but I am not real sure on how to do so. I am not new to raising chickens but I am new to breeding and especially because they are show quality I want to make sure I do this the right way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hello, I am interested in the different techniques to breeding show quality chickens. I will be recieving a trio of year old black orpingtons this fall and then in the early winter I wil be recieving 15 chicks from the same breeder. I want to prevent inbreeding with my chickens but I am not real sure on how to do so. I am not new to raising chickens but I am new to breeding and especially because they are show quality I want to make sure I do this the right way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I don't real y think you can if you are getting them from the same breeder and dont know the lines they come from or if different ones.
Did you ask about how many hens and roos he has?
Chances are if he has a variety most of yours wont be inbreeding but some will..

Thanks for replying so soon! He does have a good amount of both hens and roos. I realize I may have to introduce new blood into my flock every couple of years but I did not know if it would be a good idea to breed the roo to my pullets and my hens to my cockerels?? Everybody suggests something different...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom