1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Black Sex Links to get full stock Black Sex Links??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kentuckychickenmomma, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kentuckychickenmomma

kentuckychickenmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    OK.. Maybe this is a crazy question, but you never know till you ask so here it goes. A Black Sex Link (Black Star) is by the hatcheries terms , a RRI Rooster and BRock Hen, right? So if you want to take a Black star hen and breed them for babbies , what exactally would I breed her with to get the true Black Star since she herself is from a RIR and a B Rock ? Would we breed her back into a BRock or the RIR or neither? Thanks for answers.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cant get a sexlink by breeding a sexlink with anything. You just get more mixed up mutt types.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What Cyn says. You can't.

If you cross black (or red) sexlinks with each other or with another good-laying breed you will still get hens that mostly lay pretty well (at least for the first generation or two), if that's what you care about. Tho they may not do quite as well as the original sexlinks.

Pat

4. kentuckychickenmomma

Dec 27, 2008
    So really , if I want Black Sex Links , I will just need to order them as babies and raise them right? All this genetics is out of my league.. LOL , I just don't understand it all , I know what you all are saying though. So advice, if I want a black star or black sex link , then I should just order from a hatchery correct?? I just do not understand why they send you black star roosters if you can't really take those 2 and make them into the same thing.. Genetics once again I guess.. What will I get if I breed those two since the roo's look like B Rock?

If I breed a RIR to them would that be a good layer? I know RIR are good ones , does anyone know if the Black Stars are the same? I am full of questions.. We have been doing the chicken raising now for 2 years , but we have just started with the black sex links and DH went to Cave City today and just brought home a whole slew of them so we are just wondering how to breed them with what so that we can sale and also get the best egg layer for us and the people who buy them. If you all know a good mate for them , just let us know , and what would we call them when we do go to sale them? I do not want to tell people they are black sex links and all since they would not be a true sex link after we start breeding and hatching them . Thanks again for your help .

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yup, eIther that or get *good laying* strains of the two parent breeds and cross the appropriate hens with the appropriate roosters. Which would make 'homemade' sexlinks. You may or may not do as well, laying-ability-wise, as store boughten sexlinks (which vary in productivity anyhow) but as long as the parents are from hihg-production lines the resulting sex-links should lay quite well.

I just do not understand why they send you black star roosters

Because eggs hatch in a roughly 50/50 sex ratio [​IMG] LOL Seriously, though, that is mainly why.

Some people order straight run and eat the cockerels, keeping the hens as layers.

If I breed a RIR to them would that be a good layer?

Should be fairly good, jsut won't be color-sexable.

Have fun,

Pat​

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. kentuckychickenmomma

Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks Pat.. We shall just expermint and see waht we can come up with.. LOL Which should be fun, they will either be pretty and bad layers , or the most ugly chicken you have ever seen and a laying machine.. I will let you know.. Thanks again.. Robyn

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    The whole point of Black Stars (sexlink) is that you can sex them as dayold chicks. They are from two breeds of quality egg producing chicken breeds. Certain breeds of chickens when crossed lend themselves to this option.

If you want to raise 'sexlinks' you need a flock of Barred Rock and an RIR roo.

Black Stars (sexlinks) crossed back to a Sexlink Roo or another egg producing roo (RIR, etc) should still give you quality egg producers, only you won't be able to sex them at birth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by