Breeding Blue-laced Red *How To*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Obsessive, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Someone told me to get blue laced red all i had to do was cross gold laced and blue.

is that all or are there more specifics?

and If I wanted to throw in frizzle, how could I and what would I need to do?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm not sure it's that simple, or someone would be making blue laced red cochins and I would be begging for them [​IMG]

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Happy Mtn - I'm working on them!!! Its in the beginning stages, but its in the works!!! Keep in touch with me, ok?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:OMG!!! [​IMG] I will try not to stalk you! [​IMG]

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:What breed are you wanting to be blue laced red?

Tim

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    I was actually thinking cochins, but maybe some polish too?

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No it wouldn't be that simple, it would take you several generations to get good BLR birds. The first cross would be better to use splash instead of blue, that way you get more blue colored chicks, but if you crossed Splash to GL, the F1s should be solid blue (if you used Splash in the initial cross, If you use blue, you would get some blacks) and I would imagane there would be a lot of leakage in the blue and black birds that are produced. Then you should keep selecting the best colored birds and wirk from their, but projects are never as easy as one simple,initial cross.

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    My advise was to mate a gold laced bird to a blue or splash, retain the blue pullets and mate them back to a GL male, repeat & repeat until you have type & colour.
    Please do not take answers out of context.
    David

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:OMG!!! [​IMG] I will try not to stalk you! [​IMG]

OMG OMG OMG! Me too me too!

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    But still, using a gold laced and a blue will never give you blue laced red, just blue laced gold. Speaking from personal experience about crossing a solid to a laced, it only takes a few generations if your laced birds are good enough. Cross the blue to GL which will give mostly blue with some lacing. Mate those pullets back to a GL roo and you will get mostly laced birds, still not the best but much better. Mate those pullets back to a GL and you should have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by