Breeding Blue Leghorn Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Krodsorin, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Wyee
    Ok.. I was given a dozen of the blue leghorn bantam eggs from breeder, and only 8 of them hatched... which is ok i guess?
    anyway... I only got 1 rooster and 8 girls....
    The rooster is blue
    3 hens are blue, 3 hens are splash, and 1 hen is black..
    What would happen if i bred the blue rooster to the splash girls?
    and what would happen if i bred the blue to the black girl?

They are all from blue parents so they are still classified as blue? aren't they?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Breed the blue cock to a splash hen you will get 50% splash and 50% blue. The blues will be light, while blueXblack is 50% blue and 50% black, which then will make the blues darker i hear, so works well if you have a light blue that the lacing needs to be improved on. BlueXblue is 25% splash, 25% black, and 50% blue. SplashXBlack is 100% blue.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I never had a leghorn bantam. Do they act like a leghorn, but stay tiny? I think I might like a few, to be able to pickle some eggs. How about broodiness? I only ever had one leghorn get broody, but that was a standard size.

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Have you gotg pic's??? Never seen B/B/S leghorns

5. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Wyee
    I'll take some and upload em as soon as I can..
    At the moment they are only 13 weeks, but i think they will be laying within 6 more weeks?

6. britt59

britt59 New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    sir I am looking for some blue leghorn chickens, bantam & full sized. My # is 580 298-7717 & my email add: trottersminijerseys@yahoo.com thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by