Breeding Bobwhites Question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TedJan92_in_Idaho, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I am confused here. I have been reading up on Bobwhites and some info is one cock per hen and other info will state 1-4 hens per cock. Then I read that Bobwhites only take one mate. Can someone set me straight on this?
    TY

2. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Did the information say 1-4 hens per cock for Bobwhites or Coturnix? I've not really done a lot of research on Bobwhites, but everything I found says that they are monogamous (1 male, 1 female), the same as button quail.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    They can be kept in pairs or in colonies with one cock no 2-4 hens. I had the best luck with pairs though...

4. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    hi i just started with bobwhites in june i have one cock on 7 hens and im getting a better than 90% hatch. and this is realy late in the season for bw eggs. they have all but stoped laying now.

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:WOW, Were these birds brooded together? I figured somebody would'a been cut bad with those ratios and breeding bobs! Sounds like its work'n for ya. Keep up the good work... [​IMG] Bill

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Hmmm......sounds like ol' Fabio has done found him some testosterone enhancement meds.......lol You'd better clone that flock with those results... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by