Breeding bro. & sis. ducks. Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I have heard from a couple sources that it isn't really an issue to breed, say, a brother and sister (duck, in this case).

Well how about it?

How about parent to offspring?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It can be done and is often intentionally done to "fix in" a desired trait. There is a risk that UNDESIRABLE traits will ALSO be fixed in.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that it's appropriate. Unless you are breeding specifically for a desired trait (and I still think it's wrong), you shouldn't allow it. Parent to offspring? Even worse. yuck. If you need to trade ducks, do it. I don't think you should encourage that kind of behavior, you will eventually get ducks that look like english royalty...

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    As long as you bring in fresh blood every couple of generations, it's not a big deal. Animals don't have the moral guidlines people do. When it's time to mate, it's time to mate.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    For genetic diversity, parent with child is better. Animals don't care about the whole incest thing. Animals are not people.

6. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    Good question! As a newbie I was wondering the same thing.

7. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Yes, wasn't wondering about the 'ethical implications'!

8. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I dont think there is anything wrong with letting them breed. But like was mentioned earlier it wouldnt be a bad idea to add new blood every few generations.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    chickensducks&agoose :

I don't think that it's appropriate. Unless you are breeding specifically for a desired trait (and I still think it's wrong), you shouldn't allow it. Parent to offspring? Even worse. yuck. If you need to trade ducks, do it. I don't think you should encourage that kind of behavior, you will eventually get ducks that look like english royalty...

they are not human..[​IMG] i believe he was asking about genetic problems and stuff...​

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I say its okay. I know many many breeders that do it. Look at wild ducks, they inbreed all the time-an example is the Laysan teal, their current population started from a handful of birds and look ow many there are now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by